The Student Room Group

university grade explaination

Hi am in my fisrt year of uni
Can anyone please help to understand and the credits and gradr for undergraduate dregree
My question is so i got 2 Bs And and 4 Ds in my fisrts year however i got 120credits so if i cartiom like this and end up with bs and ds but 360 credits what class degree will i get
Plz help i neex to figure out to plan my next year grades
Thank you
Original post by nami_2088
Hi am in my fisrt year of uni
Can anyone please help to understand and the credits and gradr for undergraduate dregree
My question is so i got 2 Bs And and 4 Ds in my fisrts year however i got 120credits so if i cartiom like this and end up with bs and ds but 360 credits what class degree will i get
Plz help i neex to figure out to plan my next year grades
Thank you

Different unis handle this in different ways. Which uni are you at?
Reply 2
Bucks new university
Bucks new university

OK. So at Bucks the grade per module is given by the table below (which applies for all three years of a regular undergraduate degree).

Buckingamshire New University - Module Grading.JPG

Do you know the actual percentage you obtained in each module? Or just the grade?

For the sake of this explanation, I'm going to assume that each B grade was 65% and each D grade was 45%. (If you know your actual percentages, just replace the numbers below with those.)

Each year you will do 120 credits worth of modules. I suspect that this will be 6 modules of 20 credits each year, but some programmes might arrange those 120 credits differently. They work out you overall percentage as follows:

"The classification will be calculated based on a weighted average of the best 100 credits at Level 5 and the best 100 credits at Level 6. Level 6 credits will be double weighted in determining the overall weighted average."

Year 1, 2 and 3 are Levels 4, 5, and 6. So you can see that this year doesn't count. They use the phrase "weighted average" above to allow for the fact that credits may be different sizes. So a mark in a 20-credit module is worth double that in a 10-credit nodule.

You ask " if i cartiom like this and end up with bs and ds but 360 credits what class degree will i get".
For "weighted average of the best 100 credits at Level 5" we'll assume all units are 20 credits, so this would be (65+65+45+45+45)/5 = 53%
For "weighted average of the best 100 credits at Level 6" we'll assume all units are 20 credits, so this would be (65+65+45+45+45)/5 = 53%
(Note that I've only used the best 100 credits in each case, so I've dropped one of the 45s).

Then we have to weight Level 5 and 6 as one third and two thirds respectively (as they say "Level 6 credits will be double weighted in determining the overall weighted average"). So that's (53% x 1/3) + (53% x 2/3) = 53% (we knew that anyway, but I just wanted you to see the maths in case you wanted to use your own numbers).

Then they round that number to the nearest integer and look-up you degree classification in the table below:

Buckingamshire New University - Degree Classification.JPG

So, the answer to your question is: "Second Class Honours (Lower Division)", or a 2:2 if you prefer.

BTW, their current regulations are here.
Reply 4
Thank you so much i really appreciate it it was a really good explanation however anotger question is with second class degree in primaty school teaching courae will i be able to do my PGCE
Thank you so much i really appreciate it it was a really good explanation however anotger question is with second class degree in primaty school teaching courae will i be able to do my PGCE

Yes. Plenty of universities will allow you to do a PGCE with a 2:2, even those which you might expect to be more demanding in terms of their entry requirements. For example:

The University of Manchester want "Bachelors degree (minimum 2:2 or international equivalent)" for their PGCE Primary course (see here).
University College London (UCL) want "A minimum of a lower second-class UK Bachelor’s degree or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard" for their Primary PGCE course (see here).
University of Warwick want "2:ii undergraduate degree (or equivalent)" for their Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in Primary (2-7 or 5-11) course (see here).
Reply 6
Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending