The Student Room Group

Gcse english language

Hi I wanted to know how to get 8 or 9 on my English GCSE is there any tips please!!!
Reply 1
Hi, it's mainly a skills thing to be fair! I would focus on just practising the questions for the reading (and use lots of words that sound good like 'alternatively' and 'most significantly' etc) and shove as many techniques as you can in for the writing tasks! It's definitely mainly a question of getting your teacher to mark your past papers rather than any kind of content revision :smile:
Hello, I understand that english language can be tough, but like @lau321 said, it is all about strengthening your skills. I would highly recommend familiarising yourself with spotting + using different language techniques and being able to talk about structure as those are the main things you need to nail. Vocabulary is a helpful thing to have - it's sort of like expanding your word bank so you have more terms/phrases you can use to impress the examiner and make your writing more sophisticated.
Something that I think makes people lose marks however, is not maintaining a clear and cohesive essay. Some people start off well and degrade as they get through the essay and some people start off badly and slowly get better. You should aim to start off well and try to maintain that throughout the essay, because if your writing isn't clear or doesn't link/flow properly, the examiner/teacher can get confused.
For questions where you have to talk about an extract/piece of text, I recommend using one-word focus. Basically, you pick a quote and make a point about it, then after you zoom in on one specific word and make a point relevant to the question using that - it shows you are able to look at the text from a more analytical perspective.
I hope I helped and good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by lau321
Hi, it's mainly a skills thing to be fair! I would focus on just practising the questions for the reading (and use lots of words that sound good like 'alternatively' and 'most significantly' etc) and shove as many techniques as you can in for the writing tasks! It's definitely mainly a question of getting your teacher to mark your past papers rather than any kind of content revision :smile:

Thanks ☺️
Reply 4
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hello, I understand that english language can be tough, but like @lau321 said, it is all about strengthening your skills. I would highly recommend familiarising yourself with spotting + using different language techniques and being able to talk about structure as those are the main things you need to nail. Vocabulary is a helpful thing to have - it's sort of like expanding your word bank so you have more terms/phrases you can use to impress the examiner and make your writing more sophisticated.
Something that I think makes people lose marks however, is not maintaining a clear and cohesive essay. Some people start off well and degrade as they get through the essay and some people start off badly and slowly get better. You should aim to start off well and try to maintain that throughout the essay, because if your writing isn't clear or doesn't link/flow properly, the examiner/teacher can get confused.
For questions where you have to talk about an extract/piece of text, I recommend using one-word focus. Basically, you pick a quote and make a point about it, then after you zoom in on one specific word and make a point relevant to the question using that - it shows you are able to look at the text from a more analytical perspective.
I hope I helped and good luck!

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest