The Student Room Group

When should I start revising for my gcses?

I'm in year 11 and I am doing 9 subjects, two of which are coursework based. I've also already got my English Lit gcse (so its only lang now).

Any help and advice would be appreciated tysm :smile:
You know i really suggest to study from rn, just a lil bit every day. u could literally be reviewing what u did in class and ud get a good head start compared to others, I personally started studying a good 6 months before my exam, by doing this. And you should also really keep past papers as ur main revision task for ur non course work.
Reply 2
Original post by lil050820
I'm in year 11 and I am doing 9 subjects, two of which are coursework based. I've also already got my English Lit gcse (so its only lang now).

30 mins a day at least from now, minimum 10 minutes. I suggest that you go home from school and go over what you learnt that day and make sure you fully understand the content. Start early and you wont need to stress or cram everything last minute. It's already good that you are considering your revision at this time of the academic year. Keep it up and good luck
Reply 3
thank you :smile:
Now. Work out when your exams will be - it’s on the boards website. Then work out backwards from there to now. The book How to Ace M y GCSEs suggests repetition for all subjects across the weeks until the exams, so you repeat it all 3 times.

Make your flash cards as you go and revise as you go. Look up spaced repetition, deep focus, Mnemonics, memory palaces, scheduling etc., on You tube.
Reply 5
Original post by lil050820

Hiya, I think I might have a bit of a different take on this, basically at my school in year 11 we had mock exams in December and I think I revised for maybe 2 months on these and then completely tired myself out. In the months before the real exams (Jan - March) I found myself absolutely worn out completely and was hesitant to start revising again. I revised for maybe 7 weeks before my actual exams ( with lots of revision in the Easter holidays) and I ended up doing quite well. However I am definitely not suggesting this will work for everyone, as everyone works differently. It is definitely ok to not start suddenly doing 2 hours every day after school now, especially if like me you are a bit worried you might tire yourself out easily. I think as long as you try hard in lessons and in your mocks (which is a good first time to start going over content) you will be completely fine! Also another thing to take into account is that if you are someone who is hoping to drastically improve their grades it might be a different story but if you are happy at how much you are working at the minute and your predicted grades then you should be fine. Hope this has helped :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by aprob27
Hiya, I think I might have a bit of a different take on this, basically at my school in year 11 we had mock exams in December and I think I revised for maybe 2 months on these and then completely tired myself out. In the months before the real exams (Jan - March) I found myself absolutely worn out completely and was hesitant to start revising again. I revised for maybe 7 weeks before my actual exams ( with lots of revision in the Easter holidays) and I ended up doing quite well. However I am definitely not suggesting this will work for everyone, as everyone works differently. It is definitely ok to not start suddenly doing 2 hours every day after school now, especially if like me you are a bit worried you might tire yourself out easily. I think as long as you try hard in lessons and in your mocks (which is a good first time to start going over content) you will be completely fine! Also another thing to take into account is that if you are someone who is hoping to drastically improve their grades it might be a different story but if you are happy at how much you are working at the minute and your predicted grades then you should be fine. Hope this has helped :smile:

thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest