The Student Room Group

GI blood supply and innervation

Im not sure what it means by pharynx (vagus nerve only) and lower esophagus (celiac artery only)
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by maple2356
Im not sure what it means by pharynx (vagus nerve only) and lower esophagus (celiac artery only)

Hey @maple2356,

Hummm...I'm not fully sure but I'm guessing its just highlighting that the main nerve supply to the pharynx is the vagus and the main blood supply to the LOWER oesophagus is from the celiac artery?

I don't believe this is high yield so I wouldn't stress too much. The main thing to know is what landmarks distinguish between fore, mid and hind gut & the branches of the celiac, SMA & IMA and any anastomosis.

Shaheer
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @maple2356,

Hummm...I'm not fully sure but I'm guessing its just highlighting that the main nerve supply to the pharynx is the vagus and the main blood supply to the LOWER oesophagus is from the celiac artery?

I don't believe this is high yield so I wouldn't stress too much. The main thing to know is what landmarks distinguish between fore, mid and hind gut & the branches of the celiac, SMA & IMA and any anastomosis.

Shaheer

Thank you!
Part of deglutition(swallowing process) is controlled voluntarily and the other part is involuntary. The involuntary part is controlled by the vagus nerve by its branches that supply pharynx.
Celiac axis gives rise to gastric artery, which in-turn gives rise to small branches that supply blood to the lower end of the oesophagus. Otherwise majority of oesophagus is supplied by the intercostal arteries and the descending thoracic aorta.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending