The Student Room Group

Field trip kit

Can anyone please recommend a waterproof or at least decently water resistant rucksack for field trips?
Original post by Layzee
Can anyone please recommend a waterproof or at least decently water resistant rucksack for field trips?

In all the years I've been using rucksacks, I've never found one that is waterproof. You can buy waterproof pack covers that help, otherwise I put my stuff in plastic bags inside the pack. Zip lock food bags are great for phones, wallets, etc.
As above nothing is truly waterproof except the sort of drybags that people use on boats/paddleboards…and those are terrible as rucksacks (no hip or chest straps, crap weight distribution etc etc). You can get various sized drybags to use inside your rucksack though - they’re a bit more robust than ziplock bags and often designed for using a phone while they’re inside.
Reply 3
That's really helpful. Had been looking for the holy grail of rucksacks, which clearly don't exist!
Original post by Layzee

Hi @Layzee,
I'd also recommend dry bags for putting any warm dry kit in or any electronics while out in the field. I've got the Karrimor ones from Sport Direct, they was fairly cheap but they've certainly done there job at keeping kit dry. Alternatively, you could just use lots of plastic food bags ect.
Also, waterproof rucksack covers work quite well to prevent most of the water from not going into your bag, i got mine off Ebay and they come in different sizes.
Hope this helps!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
Thanks Jasmine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending