The Student Room Group

help!! I can't choose between history and geography :(

hi guys! so basically im in year nine and I need to choose my gcses but idk what humanity to pick :frown: for now I've got: German and computer science. my grades are the same in both subjects (predicted 8-9) and I enjoy both of the subjects. I want to go into a computer science based career but I also enjoy politics (I'm a member of my local youth county council and I've also sent a letter to the PM). im not very sure though because you might think I should take history but at the same time im the 23rd best person in geography in my year (there's roughly 180 people in my year) and you also get to go on a 5 DAY RESIDENTIAL (although I doubt the food will be good and you have to do work). I don't really like essays, but both subjects have some, even though history is essay based. my maths grade is an 8-9 and my English grade is a 6-7 (ouch) so I would take history to improve my English grade but in geography I get to learn about the world and the environment and also human population and things like that and I really enjoy that aspect of it, but I HATE everything else, especially coasts and rainforests. at the same time, I quite like history's curriculum of medicine, AMERICUHHHHH, Elizabeth the first and I forgot the other one, but im so scared ill get bored even though I quite like what we would be learning about. I don't want you guys to tell me it's my choice (although I do appreciate it) but what should I take, geography or history? also I can't take both and I can't take neither. thanks in advance!!
edit: thank you for all the support! contrary to most of the comments, I picked history (sorry) because if I suck in English and history, I would want to do better in them, so it would boost the grade in both. in history, I just need to learn essay structure as I am good at retaining information (like really good) but I did put geography as my reserve. again, thank you all :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
hey! im in yr 10 and from what i've seen i think its best to do geo cuz history u have to write like bareee essays its so jarring but geography there's a lot less and courseworks are easier. also, if u are lucky, your skl can go on field trips! my skl went to south korea n america so yh!! cya!
Reply 2
im in y11 rn and personally, i absolutely HATE essay subjects, which is why i chose geography. and i actually really enjoy it, but in contrast i prefer physical geography (coasts and rainforests topics) over human geography. but i still enjoy learning both since geography is one of my favourite subjects. of course there's still long 12 markers you have to answer (9 marks + 3 spag marks) but compared to history, i feel like its much easier to get those marks since the concepts you have to remember aren't that difficult (if that makes sense), but for history i just hate the idea of learning all the dates and timelines and it's overall just a boring subject to me and i hated it until year 9. the downside of geography can be the case studies since there's quite a lot to learn and a lot of specific info from them to remember.
for the topic of trips, both history and geography have quite good trip opportunities. in my school, if you take history, you get to go to belgium, and for geography you can go to iceland. both in which you can stay for around 3-5 days abroad. with geography also, there's lots of field trips that you do for the fieldwork. i went to stratford lower lee valley for one of mine, and i have an upcoming field trip to the beach!! icl the fieldwork trips aren't that fun but still a nice opportunity to have with your friends.
okay thats the end of my whole essay but i hope this helps!!
Reply 3
Original post by undefined
hey! im in yr 10 and from what i've seen i think its best to do geo cuz history u have to write like bareee essays its so jarring but geography there's a lot less and courseworks are easier. also, if u are lucky, your skl can go on field trips! my skl went to south korea n america so yh!! cya!

bro you got to go to south korea... thats crazy i wish our school organised something like that
I am in year 11 and would defo recommend geography as that is what I chose and enjoyed it so much I want to take it at A Level however - a friend of mine who took both geography and history prefers history and regrets choosing geography as they don't like it as much.

Geography is a lot of leearning case studies with lots of statistics and learning processes for physical geography which I don't mind but if you can't remember facts easily for many different case studies I wouldn't recommend it. For some reason I can remeber statistics but not dates in history so I really struggled with that in year7&8. I find that structuring the answers is quite easy and can easily be adapted for human and physical topics and its quite easy to waffle as well.
I don't know as much about history but I know there are lots of dates to be memorised and there are longer answer questions (essays) so as long as you like writing lots.
Good luck with your decision xx
Reply 5
Original post by milktee
bro you got to go to south korea... thats crazy i wish our school organised something like that

yh but it costs A LOTT
Reply 6
Original post by enoslolol

yh but it costs A LOTT

im sure it does 😭😭 apparently we were supposed to go to new york as a cs trip last year in our school but it got cancelled, either way I wasn't gna go bcs we had to pay like over a grand...
Reply 7
Original post by sp4m.alya
hi guys! so basically im in year nine and I need to choose my gcses but idk what humanity to pick :frown: for now I've got: German and computer science. my grades are the same in both subjects (predicted 8-9) and I enjoy both of the subjects. I want to go into a computer science based career but I also enjoy politics (I'm a member of my local youth county council and I've also sent a letter to the PM). im not very sure though because you might think I should take history but at the same time im the 23rd best person in geography in my year (there's roughly 180 people in my year) and you also get to go on a 5 DAY RESIDENTIAL (although I doubt the food will be good and you have to do work). I don't really like essays, but both subjects have some, even though history is essay based. my maths grade is an 8-9 and my English grade is a 6-7 (ouch) so I would take history to improve my English grade but in geography I get to learn about the world and the environment and also human population and things like that and I really enjoy that aspect of it, but I HATE everything else, especially coasts and rainforests. at the same time, I quite like history's curriculum of medicine, AMERICUHHHHH, Elizabeth the first and I forgot the other one, but im so scared ill get bored even though I quite like what we would be learning about. I don't want you guys to tell me it's my choice (although I do appreciate it) but what should I take, geography or history? also I can't take both and I can't take neither. thanks in advance!!

geogtaphy.
Reply 8
Original post by milktee
im sure it does 😭😭 apparently we were supposed to go to new york as a cs trip last year in our school but it got cancelled, either way I wasn't gna go bcs we had to pay like over a grand...

damnn

Quick Reply

Latest