The Student Room Group

GCSE

I've been revising every day and my mocks are at the end of november...im making flashcards and then plan on making posters and doing past papers...however i keep having this feeling im revising the wrong way..i keep thinking are these flashcards even worth it (about 50 per topic)
Reply 1
Original post by setstruggling
I've been revising every day and my mocks are at the end of november...im making flashcards and then plan on making posters and doing past papers...however i keep having this feeling im revising the wrong way..i keep thinking are these flashcards even worth it (about 50 per topic)

When I did my GCSEs I revised in a similar way and got 9999766666655 in my GCSEs. The only difference is that I did the write re-write method as that is the only thing that works for me with revision. I also made flash cards and posters summarising information that I learnt and also did past papers, which helped as well. Past papers are a good way to practice applying your knowledge to the exam questions and to understand what the examiners are looking for in your answers. Revision cards are also a useful resource- they are worth it. They are especially good for the night before your exam and you are going over key terms and definitions, you can learn last minute things from flash cards. Also, mocks are not a reflection of how you will do in your real exams, I failed my Maths and English lang mocks and I got a 6 in both of them when it came to the real thing, so don't stress too much about mocks as they are just there so you can practice your exam technique.

Hope this helps!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2

Too many flashcards - they don't work for everyone.

Poster? I wouldn't bother.

Past papers or topic tests are the ways to go.

Hey, everyone has their own way of revising

Personal experience, flash cards didn't help me, but everyone is different.

Past papers, however, are great.

Hi, I'd say that past papers and practice tests would be the top thing that can help you - if you find that there are too many questions to go through for each topic, just pick out the questions you would find most challenging and pick out any questions that you feel come up a lot so you can narrow it down.

Flashcards can help, but make sure they are based on the specification for that subject so at least you are learning something you are likely to be tested on, if you want you can even make some flashcards based off of past paper/end of unit questions you have gotten wrong in the past so you learn from your mistakes.

If you plan on making posters, make sure that you don't spend a lot of time on this, as the maximum they can do is give you a visual help (it can help if you need to learn diagrams or symbols for any subject), but don't rely too much on them.

Also, don't worry too much, you're working very hard and I'm sure you'd do well! Good luck!
Reply 5

A couple people have said this already but I shall just repeat it beause it's soooo important! At this stage, your flash cards and posters should be ready if you are going to use them. Spend your time on past papers and exam questions as similar questions are bound to come up in your mocks and real GCSE's too! :biggrin: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest