The Student Room Group

what is a pharmacist - choosing a degree

hello,

I'm resisting my A levels and last year i applied to do biomedical science, but didn't get the grades for it. It has always been my dream to study dentistry, i did the ucat in 2022 and got really bad, so i thought of doing dentistry postgrad and doing an undergrad in biomed.

Then i did bad in my a levels and now im retaking, now im kind off lost because if i want to dentistry i have to do apply to biomed. But i have never really had that passion and urge to do Biomed, i was just going to do it as a gateway to dentistry.

Im rethinking my choices now. the main reason why i am rethinking is because my family is currently renting and it has always been their dream to buy a house, but they have gotten old and are unable nor have the funds to buy a house. So me and my sister who is roughly the same age, have to buy a house.

To do this realtvely quickly i need a stable job, and if i do Biomed which is 3 years and my dream which is 5 years that's 8 years of studying meaning i will be 27 when it all finished. And i can't do anything with my biomed degree in between because to qualify as a biomedical scientist i need to do an extra year of training or something. So i would be nearly 30 if i was to do that. On top of this, i would need to fund the post-grad degree in dentistry, the gov doesn't help greatly with it.

Hence why, i have looked into pharmacy, as it would provide me of a stable job and also allow me to achieve the goal of buying a house. It would also mean that i can rely on dentistry if the pharmacy doesn't go to plan. The problem is i have no idea what pharmacy is and feel the same about it as biomed, the initial attraction isn't there. And does a pharmacist just work behind a till and hand out medicines, is there nothing else to it, or is there like different types of pharmacists?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Unevu
hello,

I'm resisting my A levels and last year i applied to do biomedical science, but didn't get the grades for it. It has always been my dream to study dentistry, i did the ucat in 2022 and got really bad, so i thought of doing dentistry postgrad and doing an undergrad in biomed.

Then i did bad in my a levels and now im retaking, now im kind off lost because if i want to dentistry i have to do apply to biomed. But i have never really had that passion and urge to do Biomed, i was just going to do it as a gateway to dentistry.

Im rethinking my choices now. the main reason why i am rethinking is because my family is currently renting and it has always been their dream to buy a house, but they have gotten old and are unable nor have the funds to buy a house. So me and my sister who is roughly the same age, have to buy a house.

To do this realtvely quickly i need a stable job, and if i do Biomed which is 3 years and my dream which is 5 years that's 8 years of studying meaning i will be 27 when it all finished. And i can't do anything with my biomed degree in between because to qualify as a biomedical scientist i need to do an extra year of training or something. So i would be nearly 30 if i was to do that. On top of this, i would need to fund the post-grad degree in dentistry, the gov doesn't help greatly with it.

Hence why, i have looked into pharmacy, as it would provide me of a stable job and also allow me to achieve the goal of buying a house. It would also mean that i can rely on dentistry if the pharmacy doesn't go to plan. The problem is i have no idea what pharmacy is and feel the same about it as biomed, the initial attraction isn't there. And does a pharmacist just work behind a till and hand out medicines, is there nothing else to it, or is there like different types of pharmacists?

Here's a link to what the job of a pharmacist entails: https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/raising-concerns/raising-concerns-about-pharmacy-professional/what-expect-your-pharmacy/what-does-0

You should also try to get some work experience or something in a pharmacy to see if it's something you'll be interested in. Otherwise, if you're still set on dentistry, then you could still try applying- although some dental schools don't allow resits. Graduate entry dentistry is even more competitive than undergraduate, just be aware of that before making your decision. But ultimately it's your choice, do what you think is best for your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending