The Student Room Group

Pharmacy or Optometry - URGENT UCAS

Time to apply for UCAS and start writing my personal statement, but i'm so lost on whether to do pharmacy or optometry.
Optometry requires higher grades at - AAA
pharmacy requires - ABB
i do geography, Biology and Chem
and with hard work i believe that i could get a A in geography , possibly a A In biology and a B in chem.
what do i do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by choutr
Time to apply for UCAS and start writing my personal statement, but i'm so lost on whether to do pharmacy or optometry.
Optometry requires higher grades at - AAA
pharmacy requires - ABB
i do geography, Biology and Chem
and with hard work i believe that i could get a A in geography , possibly a A In biology and a B in chem.
what do i do

In the future would you like to be a pharmacist or an optometrist?
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
In the future would you like to be a pharmacist or an optometrist?

that idk
Original post by choutr
that idk

That's the one thing you need to decide or there's little point doing either
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
That's the one thing you need to decide or there's little point doing either

bro what
Reply 5
Original post by choutr
bro what

2 different career paths, cant let others decide for you. its about what YOU want to do
Little point in doing a pharmacy degree if you don't wish to become a pharmacist / work in the pharmacy industry

Little point in doing a optometry degree if you don't wish to become an optometrist / work in the eye health field

If you're not sure you want to work in either, don't study either of these degrees.
Reply 7
Original post by JKR990
2 different career paths, cant let others decide for you. its about what YOU want to do

well ik that . thanks for uh nothing
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
Little point in doing a pharmacy degree if you don't wish to become a pharmacist / work in the pharmacy industry

Little point in doing a optometry degree if you don't wish to become an optometrist / work in the eye health field

If you're not sure you want to work in either, don't study either of these degrees.

these are the two options i have in mind so why would i not study one of them ?
make it make sence
Original post by choutr
these are the two options i have in mind so why would i not study one of them ?
make it make sence
You told me 3 hours ago that you don't know whether you want to work in either of these fields. My advice is to focus on both careers (not the uni courses, but career pathways) and make a choice about which sector you would prefer to work in. If you haven't thought through your career prospects yet I would spend some time doing that before writing a word of your PS.
Original post by choutr
well ik that . thanks for uh nothing

There is no need to be rude.
You asked for advice and people are providing it. If you don't like that advice that's fine, but you don't have to be disrespectful.
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
You told me 3 hours ago that you don't know whether you want to work in either of these fields. My advice is to focus on both careers (not the uni courses, but career pathways) and make a choice about which sector you would prefer to work in. If you haven't thought through your career prospects yet I would spend some time doing that before writing a word of your PS.

There is no need to be rude.
You asked for advice and people are providing it. If you don't like that advice that's fine, but you don't have to be disrespectful.

u sayign stuff like in the future would u like to be a pharmacist or a optometrist isnt advice.
its just sayign my question and my thought again.

its not being rude ,its just sayign ''Its about what you want to do'' doesnt help when clearly im confused?
Original post by choutr
u sayign stuff like in the future would u like to be a pharmacist or a optometrist isnt advice.
its just sayign my question and my thought again.

its not being rude ,its just sayign ''Its about what you want to do'' doesnt help when clearly im confused?

It isn't, your question was which degree should you apply for.
My advice, for the fourth time, is that if you aren't determined to go down a particular career path, don't start a 3+ year course at university towards it.

We won't be making this decision for you, it is yours only
Reply 12
Original post by 04MR17
It isn't, your question was which degree should you apply for.
My advice, for the fourth time, is that if you aren't determined to go down a particular career path, don't start a 3+ year course at university towards it.

We won't be making this decision for you, it is yours only

ik its just that i wanted advice on like what an optometrist would consist of and what a pharmacist would consist of in terms of uni and work life not a response like you choose .
becuse clearly i cant
im not trying to be rude so sorry if it came across like that
Original post by choutr
ik its just that i wanted advice on like what an optometrist would consist of and what a pharmacist would consist of in terms of uni and work life .

Ah okay, that's the first time you've asked that so I'm glad we've reached the detail now
Hey, I also chose between these 2. Have u decided? Ive ended up with optometry.
-The 2 careers are similar in the way most end up working in the mix of retail but still healthcare route, only a small number go into hopsital pharmacy/optometry. I believe pharmacy has a wider number of unis providing the course but is also highly sought after.
-Both are now 4 yr Msc degrees but I think pharmacists need to do an extra year before being fully qualified
-Pharmacists increasingly have more responsibility with some being able to do prescribing courses.
-The biggest course difference is pharmacy is bio + chem and optometry is bio + physics.

take my points with a pinch of salt.. not sure if everything i said was fully correct.... j stuff i hear on these forums
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 16

Just realised it’s from nine years ago…
Have you figured out what you want to do?
Reply 17
Original post by M8-Idek

ive applied for both on ucassss
Reply 18
Original post by choutr
Original post by M8-Idek

ive applied for both on ucassss

Thats good. How’s it going have you gotten any offers yet? Which uni is your firm choice?
Reply 19
ive sent the ucas off just today ahh
optom - aston
huddersfield

pharmacy
aston
dmu
wolve

firm wanna do optom at aston and then dmu pharmacyyy wbuu

Quick Reply

Latest