The Student Room Group

Application for work coach CS 500 word application

Hi there.
I am looking for some advice maybe from people that have previously applied for this position.
So I understand that I must use the star method to give examples of behaviour demonstrated within 500 words, but I am unsure on how to start this application.
Can I ask how people stated the wording of this 500 word process, and any other tips that may help me.
I would greatly appreciate any help or advice, as I believe this is not a personal statement? It differs in it's structure as it's about suitability and behaviour.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply 1
Use the STAR method, I highly advise reading the behaviours and what they expect from an EO grade and implementing it into your answers. Demonstrating you can work efficiently to an EO grade is key to getting the points, maybe use some of their key words from the vocabulary PDF will work too. This is what I did and I am waiting for feedback for my interview.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fgl_11
Use the STAR method, I highly advise reading the behaviours and what they expect from an EO grade and implementing it into your answers. Demonstrating you can work efficiently to an EO grade is key to getting the points, maybe use some of their key words from the vocabulary PDF will work too. This is what I did and I am waiting for feedback for my interview.

Thank you for your advise, I appreciate it, can I ask how you began the 500 words. For example, did you start with a short personal statement, like why you would be a great fit, and your goals, or move straight into the examples of behaviour?
Kindly appreciate any advice on how you started to word it.
Reply 3
Original post by S.tonin
Thank you for your advise, I appreciate it, can I ask how you began the 500 words. For example, did you start with a short personal statement, like why you would be a great fit, and your goals, or move straight into the examples of behaviour?
Kindly appreciate any advice on how you started to word it.

No worries at all. I got straight into it, I focused solely on the behaviour the questions were asking and started something like “whilst working at XYZ as a XYZ it was my responsibility to XYZ” then I’d introduce the situation, the task you were in (for example managing the customer complaint), action that needed to be taken, and then the result. I would focus on ending your answer with “I” rather than “we”, so; “as a result of my action we were able to XYZ”. Hope I have helped in some way, and good luck. If you’re comfortable keep your thread updated with your feedback and how you get on.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by fgl_11
No worries at all. I got straight into it, I focused solely on the behaviour the questions were asking and started something like “whilst working at XYZ as a XYZ it was my responsibility to XYZ” then I’d introduce the situation, the task you were in (for example managing the customer complaint), action that needed to be taken, and then the result. I would focus on ending your answer with “I” rather than “we”, so; “as a result of my action we were able to XYZ”. Hope I have helped in some way, and good luck. If you’re comfortable keep your thread updated with your feedback and how you get on.

Thank you so much for that reply. That has clarified ALOT to me, and I will 100% update the thread. The advice is invaluable from others like yourself that have gone through the same process. I cants actually relate mine to work as have no work history, but I am thinking I will relate to an issue at my son's nursery where there was no behaviour reward system implemented, so I put one together, presented it to the managers and they implemented it with a positive outcome sort of thing. I am going back to work after being a stay at home Mum, between university and now, that's all I have done, be a parent, but to my understanding, it doesn't HAVE to be work related, it can also be life related from what I can gather.
Also social situations where you have motivated someone in a positive way?
This is my concern ATM, is the lack of work history, but I am so keen to get back to work, and I know that this role would really suit me.
Reply 5
No problem! I think your example is a solid one, just make sure you’re implementing the behaviours within your answer. Also, think about uni and when you did group projects how you manoeuvred them and worked with your team. It could be as little as how you decided to use double-sided paper instead of single in the final project, it’s all about how you came to that decision (if it’s a making a decision behaviour question) - this wasn’t my answer but was similar. When I did my interview I used two examples from uni. Please feel free to message privately if needed !

But I was told to think of it as the journey/process to a decision or action is what’s most important to the assessors. Good luck !!!
Original post by S.tonin
Thank you so much for that reply. That has clarified ALOT to me, and I will 100% update the thread. The advice is invaluable from others like yourself that have gone through the same process. I cants actually relate mine to work as have no work history, but I am thinking I will relate to an issue at my son's nursery where there was no behaviour reward system implemented, so I put one together, presented it to the managers and they implemented it with a positive outcome sort of thing. I am going back to work after being a stay at home Mum, between university and now, that's all I have done, be a parent, but to my understanding, it doesn't HAVE to be work related, it can also be life related from what I can gather.
Also social situations where you have motivated someone in a positive way?
This is my concern ATM, is the lack of work history, but I am so keen to get back to work, and I know that this role would really suit me.
Reply 6
Thank you so much. University was a while ago but you have given me more help than you would ever know and I am truly grateful to you for the time that you have taken to reply to me. I really does mean alot, and if I get stuck, I will take you up on your very kind offer to message you. Thanks again.
Reply 7
Absolutely no problem, happy to help and really pray your successful in this !!!!

Original post by S.tonin
Thank you so much. University was a while ago but you have given me more help than you would ever know and I am truly grateful to you for the time that you have taken to reply to me. I really does mean alot, and if I get stuck, I will take you up on your very kind offer to message you. Thanks again.
Reply 8
Original post by fgl_11
Absolutely no problem, happy to help and really pray your successful in this !!!!

Hello to all. I just wanted to update the thread to say that I passed the SJT and have been invited to a pre recorded interview, that I must complete within five days of the invite.
I would like to Thank you for all the advice and now move onto my next question. Does anyone have any idea of the questions that will asked on the pre-recorded interview. As I have no recent work history, it would be of HUGH help to me to guage the questions, so that I could possibly ammend them to day to day life answers.
Thank you for your help, and over the moon I've made it this far 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending