The Student Room Group

Managed moves in DWP

I have just started a work coach role at DWP and I was just wondering whether it is possible to do a managed move from a work coach role to a different role within DWP/how easy is it to move roles once you’re in DWP?
Same grade (level transfer)? You should look at internal vacancies/expressions of interest and see how your experience fits what may be available...

There may be an application/interview process for any move (but probably less demanding than formal recruitment), so I'd start thinking about success profiles, preparing/brushing up a personal statement / CV etc.

But if you've just started, it may be a while (a year or more) before you can move to another Civil Service job. There usually are barriers to people moving within their probation period before they get confirmed. Are you a permanently appointed Civil Servant already?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Matilda_Moo
Same grade (level transfer)? You should look at internal vacancies/expressions of interest and see how your experience fits what may be available...

There may be an application/interview process for any move (but probably less demanding than formal recruitment), so I'd start thinking about success profiles, preparing/brushing up a personal statement / CV etc.

But if you've just started, it may be a while (a year or more) before you can move to another Civil Service job. There usually are barriers to people moving within their probation period before they get confirmed. Are you a permanently appointed Civil Servant already?

I’m in a similar position to the OP kinda, I’ve been offered a WC role (currently an AO) but imagine that I’d want to move on to another EO role quite quickly. As I’ve already passed probation, how likely do you think it is that I can move across to another role in a few months?
If you're an AO and you're looking for an EO role, that's a formal promotion - so you'll need to apply, probably via CS Jobs, or a similar site.
Reply 4
If you're an AO and you're looking for an EO role, that's a formal promotion - so you'll need to apply, probably via CS Jobs, or a similar site.

I meant when I become a EO Work Coach (I have a start date for next month)
Original post by d-m1
I meant when I become a EO Work Coach (I have a start date for next month)

You'll probably find there's an expectation you stay in the WC role for a bit (at least a year), before moving on to another EO role.

You can move more quickly, but I'd do it by leaving DWP completely.

(As a hiring manager I massively hate it when people, take a job, get trained and move within a few months, it is a total waste of my time recruiting and training, and can adversely affect the team).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
You'll probably find there's an expectation you stay in the WC role for a bit (at least a year), before moving on to another EO role.

You can move more quickly, but I'd do it by leaving DWP completely.

(As a hiring manager I massively hate it when people, take a job, get trained and move within a few months, it is a total waste of my time recruiting and training, and can adversely affect the team).

Ah okay, when applying for internal vacancies can your manager stop you from applying for them if they don’t want you to leave so soon?
Original post by d-m1
Ah okay, when applying for internal vacancies can your manager stop you from applying for them if they don’t want you to leave so soon?

They can't stop you applying, but they might try to block the move.
They can't stop you applying, but they might try to block the move.

If the role is advertised externally, they can’t stop you applying , however , if it is an EOI internal they can block level transfers due to the demand needed for work coaches in jobcentre. They can not stop you applying on promotion via EOI but it’s very difficult to get level transfer EO
Original post by MAI10
I have just started a work coach role at DWP and I was just wondering whether it is possible to do a managed move from a work coach role to a different role within DWP/how easy is it to move roles once you’re in DWP?

You will need to stay 18 Months within your role

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending