The Student Room Group

Should I take this DWP Work Coach role?

I’ve been an AO at DWP (in CFCD) for 5 months and have been offered a Work Coach role.

I’m really unsure about whether to take it, I’m not sure it’d be a role I enjoy? It’s also a longer commute than my current role and doesnt have the advantage of hybrid working.

That being said, my goal was to progress within the civil service and I took the AO role as mainly a stepping stone. The pay is also better of course (by £5k annually).

Any advice would be appreciated! If I don’t enjoy it, how likely is it for me to do a lateral transfer to another EO opportunity?
Original post by d-m1
I’ve been an AO at DWP (in CFCD) for 5 months and have been offered a Work Coach role.

I’m really unsure about whether to take it, I’m not sure it’d be a role I enjoy? It’s also a longer commute than my current role and doesnt have the advantage of hybrid working.

That being said, my goal was to progress within the civil service and I took the AO role as mainly a stepping stone. The pay is also better of course (by £5k annually).

Any advice would be appreciated! If I don’t enjoy it, how likely is it for me to do a lateral transfer to another EO opportunity?

Work and Health is a very different working style to cfcd . I’ve gone from Work Coach to CFCD and would say CFCD is a better working environment. In terms of hybrid working, flexi hours, well being focus on staff, and upskilling I’d say CFCD is really good
Reply 2
Original post by MarieSugarOnline
Work and Health is a very different working style to cfcd . I’ve gone from Work Coach to CFCD and would say CFCD is a better working environment. In terms of hybrid working, flexi hours, well being focus on staff, and upskilling I’d say CFCD is really good

Yeah I really enjoy it at CFCD and I know I’d prefer it over Work and Health, however it is a good progression opportunity, maybe I can move to another EO role (perhaps in CFCD?) after a few months?
Reply 3
Original post by d-m1
Yeah I really enjoy it at CFCD and I know I’d prefer it over Work and Health, however it is a good progression opportunity, maybe I can move to another EO role (perhaps in CFCD?) after a few months?

I'd love to know how that went for you!
Reply 4
Original post by bejba

Haha what a coincidence, I was offered an EO role in CFCD last week in my current office, starting at the beginning of December! It definitely worked out for me as I’ve ended up staying where I wanted, and also the extra few months that I was an AO, I was on TDA for team leaders a lot of the time :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by bejba

Oh i should mention that I didn’t take the Work Coach role
Reply 6
Original post by d-m1
Haha what a coincidence, I was offered an EO role in CFCD last week in my current office, starting at the beginning of December! It definitely worked out for me as I’ve ended up staying where I wanted, and also the extra few months that I was an AO, I was on TDA for team leaders a lot of the time :smile:

Sounds great! I am starting my AO CFCD role in a couple of weeks. Could you share what your day-to-day looked like? I personally love looking into fraud but mostly the back-end of things. My biggest fear is that this will become a call centre type of work. Could you share some insight on what your day-to-day was like, and how you managed to progress so quickly? I am taking this role as a stepping stone to build my career in CS. I would appreciate any tips 😉 P.S. Congratulations!!
Reply 7
Original post by bejba
Sounds great! I am starting my AO CFCD role in a couple of weeks. Could you share what your day-to-day looked like? I personally love looking into fraud but mostly the back-end of things. My biggest fear is that this will become a call centre type of work. Could you share some insight on what your day-to-day was like, and how you managed to progress so quickly? I am taking this role as a stepping stone to build my career in CS. I would appreciate any tips 😉 P.S. Congratulations!!

I actually worked in the Debt side of things, not fraud. My role was a lot like a call centre role tbh but I guess it depends on how your job was advertised? So for the first couple of months (after training) I was on calls all day. Then after a few months we had a second training and after that we undertook admin work for half the day (issuing refunds, balancing accounts etc), and the other half on calls.

In terms of progression, I personally kept an eye on any opportunities and was lucky to find an advert for an EO role within debt. As soon as I finished my 6 month probation, I spoke to my manager about opportunities to ‘TDA’ i.e be a deputy for team leaders, this gave me a range of skills at EO level which helped with my application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending