The Student Room Group

College Personal Statement

Hi guys,
Currently I am writing my Personal Statement and am have no idea how to start. I have listed stuff I have done for example:
-Spelling Bee winner for schools
-Civil engineering work experience
-I have done many online and physical courses and certifications for civil engineering and the fields similar, like cybersecurity.
-Grade 5 clarinet, 1st clarinet in an orchestra...
-Play tennis and win tennis LTA tournaments
-Dofe bronze and silver

and more...
Please could you help me on how to start and tips?
Original post by dmedz
Hi guys,
Currently I am writing my Personal Statement and am have no idea how to start. I have listed stuff I have done for example:
-I have done many online and physical courses and certifications for civil engineering and the fields similar, like cybersecurity.
-Dofe bronze and silver

and more...

Hi @dmedz

It sounds like you've made a good start here. Definitely include some bits about why you're interested in the course, or is there a particular are of the subject you're interested in? Your courses would be good to include, and your musical and sports interests is a great addition! It's good to include some personality and your interests so whoever is viewing your application can get a better insight into what you're like.

Also remember to sound natural and genuine in your writing. Of course try and write with a formal tone, but you also want your writing to sound like your voice. I remember when writing my personal writing I started writing about books I hadn't read and artists I didn't really like to try and sound more impressive. But actually, I realised that no one was interested in all of that, they just wanted to hear about what I like, what I want to study etc.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your application!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by dmedz
Hi guys,
-Dofe bronze and silver

and more...

Are you applying for UK universities or US colleges? The requirements from PSs are very different.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Are you applying for UK universities or US colleges? The requirements from PSs are very different.

UK colleges/sixth form (year 12)
Original post by dmedz
UK colleges/sixth form (year 12)

Then you need to be focused on what A levels (or other qualifications) you want to study at the college and why. Also have a look at each college/sixth form values and community pages on their website and think about how those match your personal values and what you'd like to get involved in outside your studies.
Original post by dmedz
Hi guys,

-Dofe bronze and silver

and more...

Hi there,

Looks like you have a lot of great work to talk about! A personal statement is an opportunity to present yourself as a student and show your passion towards your intended course.

I would recommend talking through one of your civil engineering achievements as a focus, perhaps one of your courses. Talk about what you learnt, how it helped your personal development and how it encouraged you to pursue engineering. Present your interest in your chosen study.

I would spend more time on the relevant experience than the other aspects however do still include these. A few sentences about other achievements is great as long as you relate it back to yourself and your development. Try not to just state what you have done but more so what it taught you and why it is useful.

Remember this is personal. Keep the tone formal and SPAG to good standard but try not to write like a robot. Sound genuine and just show yourself and what you have to offer as a student.

Good luck with everything,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

Looks like you have a lot of great work to talk about! A personal statement is an opportunity to present yourself as a student and show your passion towards your intended course.

I would recommend talking through one of your civil engineering achievements as a focus, perhaps one of your courses. Talk about what you learnt, how it helped your personal development and how it encouraged you to pursue engineering. Present your interest in your chosen study.

I would spend more time on the relevant experience than the other aspects however do still include these. A few sentences about other achievements is great as long as you relate it back to yourself and your development. Try not to just state what you have done but more so what it taught you and why it is useful.

Remember this is personal. Keep the tone formal and SPAG to good standard but try not to write like a robot. Sound genuine and just show yourself and what you have to offer as a student.

Good luck with everything,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

OP is writing a PS for sixth form - they're unlikely to be studying civil engineering at sixth form college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending