The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Maths with Bio, Chem, Maths and Further Maths?

I am aware that the entry requirements are only Maths and Further Maths, however, I feel that physics would be expected.
I have a strong passion for Maths, love Biology, and Chemistry comes naturally to me so I would be able to get good grades (and enjoy myself)
However I really want to study Maths at uni (and obviously my target would be Oxbridge) but if not taking Physics is a dealbreaker, I would definitely take it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I do Maths at Cambridge and I didn't do Physics (instead did Chemistry and French as my others) and I have a friend who did Music as their third. Unless you're applying for the Maths with Physics, you should be fine.
As above, it's fine. You will do some mechanics in both courses in first year though as I understand it but this will be more aligned with what you've done in A-level Maths anyway I expect.
Thank you for your advice
Original post by melancollege
I do Maths at Cambridge and I didn't do Physics (instead did Chemistry and French as my others) and I have a friend who did Music as their third. Unless you're applying for the Maths with Physics, you should be fine.

Hello, what super-curriculars would you recommend for Maths and if you don't mind, what super-curriculars did you do?
Original post by charlie's_devil
Hello, what super-curriculars would you recommend for Maths and if you don't mind, what super-curriculars did you do?

The PS isn't super important for Cambridge Maths but I did a few Maths classes run by the AMSP, I did the UKMT and BMO1, read a Maths book (though this in itself probably wasn't that important) and then did some extra Maths based on what I had learned, did a Maths research project (not as big as an EPQ but just for my own interest) and did a MOOC. I should say that none of these are necessary and access to Maths supercurriculars vary widely based on where you live, your school, etc. and they are very aware of this. In essence, they just want you to do as much Maths as you can.

If you go to a state school, you may be able to access local AMSP courses for free, though this depends a lot on where you live. I had to Central London for one of mine, and the next county over for the other but it was definitely enjoyable, especially meeting people that were also interested in Maths. (This was before COVID so I don't know if these still run as before).

Quick Reply

Latest