The Student Room Group

How competitive is computer science and what are my chances of getting in?

I'm not doing further maths or computer science, I'm doing bio, chem and maths. I'm currently getting an AAB A in maths(y12) but I have nothing else that really relates to comp sci.
Do I have any chance of getting in to decent uni's?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Depends what you mean with decent. If oxbridge, then probably not without further maths, but there are still lots of other options. I think there are very few unis that require a level cs or physics so your subjects actually sound pretty good to me (chem and bio and listed as useful subjects for cs by quite a few unis). Just check on the websites to see which ones require further maths and any others will probably still be an option. As for grades, you can easily find out where you have a chance by looking at the standard offer grades for each uni.
Reply 2
By decent i didn't mean oxbridge💀lmao just any uni that's okay-ish ranking wise, thank you!!
Original post by atarisroses
By decent i didn't mean oxbridge💀lmao just any uni that's okay-ish ranking wise, thank you!!

You're fine then.

Anything outside the top 5 unis for CS should not really be a problem for you. If you want to go into the top 5, then you might have some problems.

Note: I thought it might be fair to point out to you that you don't need a degree in CS to work in tech. You will need it for academic research or work for a major government organisation like the NHS, but most areas in practice don't require it as a degree.
Reply 4
A in maths is perfect for computer science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending