The Student Room Group

What A-level subjects should I pick

I want to do engineering in uni and hope to go to oxbridge universities, I’m in year 11 and currently pretty much secured 9s in physics maths further maths bio and chem, whereas my English is around a 7-8 and I have already done the RE gcse and achieved a 9. For A-level I want to pick physics, maths, further maths and a fourth subject. Any suggestions
chem? Physics, maths, FM and chem is popular for engineering at competitive unis
Reply 2
Chemistry is a good option, but if you want something different it doesn't really matter, unless you want to go into chemical engineering. Do you do any mfls? or you could do epq if your school offers it
Reply 3
Maths and Physics.
For some top Unis, also taking FM will give you an advantage.

Unless you are interested in Chemical Engineering, you don't need Chemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
Chemistry is a good option, but if you want something different it doesn't really matter, unless you want to go into chemical engineering. Do you do any mfls? or you could do epq if your school offers it

Do you think physics, maths, and further maths along with EPQ is sufficient?
Reply 5
Physics, Maths and Further Maths are usually sufficient. Bearing in mind that oxbridge courses for engineering are incredibly competitive, most other applicants will have a 4th A level that is usually something like Chemistry or Computer science (usual STEM starterpack lol). Any subjects you enjoy and do well in as a 4th wouldn't be too bad - just keep in mind that A Levels are much more challenging and time-consuming compared to GCSE, so having a subject you don't particularly like or are good at will be a drag. Best of luck
Reply 6
Original post by Mahmoud2024

Do you think physics, maths, and further maths along with EPQ is sufficient?

Yeah, that should be fine- I've heard that an EPQ can give you reduced offers in some universities too
Reply 7
maths physics fm are def good, a 4th option isn't NEEDED but if you're aiming for oxbridge, i'm not exactly sure how their selection process works, esp for engineering but if you think you can handle the workload of a 4th, chemistry would be a good option imo but if you aren't going into chemical engineering i doubt it will be that useful, but it is a popular option
you can absolutely still get into oxbridge with those 3 a-levels and can probs secure an offer from the top london unis with the 3 as well, i do 4 a-levels and i personally regret it because it just didn't help my uni applications at all, and it's just a bigger workload for me but it could be advantageous to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending