The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry

I guess my main question is, how do people do well in such a difficult and demanding subject? I do biology, chemistry and maths, and to be honest, I thought the worst would be maths considering i transferred to the subject late, but surprisingly not? Chemistry is just so hard, Ive tried time and time again to do well, and ive revised and asked my teachers for help yet I have still done so bad on our end of topic tests. 14/50 is quite horrific.. I can say that I pretty much gave up mid exam which i know! not the best thing to do. Not to sound like a rant but theres so much I just cannot understand, such as back titrations and ionisation energies and all whatnot. It really just puts me down and makes me doubt if i will do well at all, considering that these are the easier topics no? But I have PPEs coming up that actually matter (less than 2 weeks to go!) and I just really want a minimum B. This is coming from somebody who needs atleast an A for my predicted as I want to do dentistry, so are there any chemists who could help a poor girl out?
How do people achieve A/A* in chem?
Reply 1
Original post by dormir07
I guess my main question is, how do people do well in such a difficult and demanding subject? I do biology, chemistry and maths, and to be honest, I thought the worst would be maths considering i transferred to the subject late, but surprisingly not? Chemistry is just so hard, Ive tried time and time again to do well, and ive revised and asked my teachers for help yet I have still done so bad on our end of topic tests. 14/50 is quite horrific.. I can say that I pretty much gave up mid exam which i know! not the best thing to do. Not to sound like a rant but theres so much I just cannot understand, such as back titrations and ionisation energies and all whatnot. It really just puts me down and makes me doubt if i will do well at all, considering that these are the easier topics no? But I have PPEs coming up that actually matter (less than 2 weeks to go!) and I just really want a minimum B. This is coming from somebody who needs atleast an A for my predicted as I want to do dentistry, so are there any chemists who could help a poor girl out?
How do people achieve A/A* in chem?

Hey, I was doing horrible in chemistry in year 12, but now in year 13, i think i've got the hang of it. The only thing that can really help you is EXAM QUESTIONS!!! its my biggest fear, i hate them, they're so annoying but they help so much. You have everything you need to be a great student except EXPERIENCE. exam qs will be ur best frenemy. just keep doing them over and over. and TRUST ME, most teachers just copy the qs off a website like pmt or past papers and put them on ur exams.

use sites like pmt (physics maths tutor) and studymind.
Reply 2
Original post by zero333
Hey, I was doing horrible in chemistry in year 12, but now in year 13, i think i've got the hang of it. The only thing that can really help you is EXAM QUESTIONS!!! its my biggest fear, i hate them, they're so annoying but they help so much. You have everything you need to be a great student except EXPERIENCE. exam qs will be ur best frenemy. just keep doing them over and over. and TRUST ME, most teachers just copy the qs off a website like pmt or past papers and put them on ur exams.

use sites like pmt (physics maths tutor) and studymind.

i totally get that exam questions actually scare me. but sometimes finding the right ones are just so difficult, because i either need knowledge from other topics (that i have yet to learn) to answer the questions, or they are just too easy? I dont know I need to find questions that are difficult and are realistic to exams. I just sat my PPEs and 0/10 is an understatement for that chemistry paper. But i guess it can only get better from here?

Quick Reply

Latest