The Student Room Group

Cambridge Application

I’m a few months into year 12 and want to study Psychology at Cambridge. I’m doing Psychology, Physics, Politics and RE (but will drop one of these). I do volunteering both inside and outside of school and plan to do loads of reading and listening to podcasts related to Psychology. I’m also going to do silver DofE and the NCS volunteering scheme
What more can I do to improve my chance? I know there’s no extra-curriculars so any advice would be great
Babysitting is great for Psychology, or anything with children (like volunteering to hear Year 1s reading in a primary school)
Reply 2
Original post by SilverPebble
Babysitting is great for Psychology, or anything with children (like volunteering to hear Year 1s reading in a primary school)

I did 2 weeks work experience in a nursery in year 10, and my volunteering at school involves working with kids that have additional needs and listening to younger years read. Do you think that’s enough or should I try and find baby sitting?
Original post by caitlynewwww
I did 2 weeks work experience in a nursery in year 10, and my volunteering at school involves working with kids that have additional needs and listening to younger years read. Do you think that’s enough or should I try and find baby sitting?

It totally depends on how much spare time you have, but I think babysitting shows that parents really trust you with their children (amd are happy to pay you!), which counts for slightly more than volunteering. Also, you get to build up a relationship with the kids, which is great for being able to relate developmental psychology concepts to real-life situations. It would be most helpful perhaps if you could babysit some under-5s, as they really teach you loads about developmental stages etc! Best teachers out there ;-)
Reply 4
Original post by SilverPebble
It totally depends on how much spare time you have, but I think babysitting shows that parents really trust you with their children (amd are happy to pay you!), which counts for slightly more than volunteering. Also, you get to build up a relationship with the kids, which is great for being able to relate developmental psychology concepts to real-life situations. It would be most helpful perhaps if you could babysit some under-5s, as they really teach you loads about developmental stages etc! Best teachers out there ;-)

that makes loads of sense, thank you so much. will definitely try and find some :smile:
Reply 5
Bear in mind Cambridge expects you to be doing Biology or Maths amongst your A-Levels. You should switch one for one of these.
Reply 6
Original post by caitlynewwww
I’m a few months into year 12 and want to study Psychology at Cambridge. I’m doing Psychology, Physics, Politics and RE (but will drop one of these). I do volunteering both inside and outside of school and plan to do loads of reading and listening to podcasts related to Psychology. I’m also going to do silver DofE and the NCS volunteering scheme
What more can I do to improve my chance? I know there’s no extra-curriculars so any advice would be great

If you have not done so already, it might be worth considering Oxford instead, as Cambridge prefers you to have biology or chemistry. The Oxford one has the following for entry requirements, which you meet - One or more science subjects (including Psychology) or Maths
Reply 7
Original post by lalexm
If you have not done so already, it might be worth considering Oxford instead, as Cambridge prefers you to have biology or chemistry. The Oxford one has the following for entry requirements, which you meet - One or more science subjects (including Psychology) or Maths

*Biology or Maths, as I already said.
Reply 8
Original post by Paralove
*Biology or Maths, as I already said.

Yes you are correct. Not sure where I got chemistry from.
Oxbridge don't care about extracurriculars that much, they're much more interested in the wider reading you've done about your subject. Look at Cambridge's psychology reading list and read a few of the books off it, and do things like open university online courses about psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending