The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me with revision tips?

I am currently in year 11 and I have a mock coming up in the next month. I am predicted at 7s for most of my subjects but when i had assessments recently, maths, physics, biology and physics (i do triple but they combined the sciences into one paper) came back as 5s even though i work quite hard. Does anyone know why this may be? Also how many hours should i study for after school? (i finish at 3.20). Any advice will be very appreciated :smile:
Hey for maths and science, I would recommend going over concepts if there is a topic list go through it and understand the concept. Then do past papers after that. you can find these at https://revisionscience.com/ and https://revisionmaths.com/.
Then mark it and if you miss any marks go over the markscheme and see where you went wrong. Then go back and study the topic a bit more.

The marking part is just as important as doing the past paper. The tests especially biology look for keywords. so you may know the concepts well but the marks scheme can be harsh (I had the same problem too). so just look over the mark scheme and become familiar with it. so when you answer a question you know what keywords you need to get marks.

Once you come back from school rest for a bit. It can be hard to say how long to study. Try to actively study in 30-minute blocks then take a break (the Pomodoro method is quite helpful. I like having a timer for it in the background.) Then do about 2 hours.
Dont burn yourself out too much make sure you spend time exercising and doing any hobbies. Good luck with your mocks:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by i'mconcuzled
Hey for maths and science, I would recommend going over concepts if there is a topic list go through it and understand the concept. Then do past papers after that. you can find these at https://revisionscience.com/ and https://revisionmaths.com/.
Then mark it and if you miss any marks go over the markscheme and see where you went wrong. Then go back and study the topic a bit more.

The marking part is just as important as doing the past paper. The tests especially biology look for keywords. so you may know the concepts well but the marks scheme can be harsh (I had the same problem too). so just look over the mark scheme and become familiar with it. so when you answer a question you know what keywords you need to get marks.

Once you come back from school rest for a bit. It can be hard to say how long to study. Try to actively study in 30-minute blocks then take a break (the Pomodoro method is quite helpful. I like having a timer for it in the background.) Then do about 2 hours.
Dont burn yourself out too much make sure you spend time exercising and doing any hobbies. Good luck with your mocks:smile:

hey thanks for the advice, ill be sure to apply them with studying. thank you very much! :smile:
Hi,

I am a 4th year student at Lancaster University, so thought I might chime in and offer some advice.

I remember back at GCSE level, my teachers would mark us lower on mocks in case the grade boundaries were high for the actual exams. This might explain why you have received lower grades than you're used to.

Some of my favourite revision tips are:
-Try blurting; this is where you close all of your notes and from memory, write down everything you can remember about a topic. Once you're finished, open your notes back up and mark what you've written. This is a good way of showing what you are already good at and what you particularly need to focus on.
-Remember to take breaks! Your brain can only work so hard, to learn as effectively as possible, make sure you give yourself enough time to relax and refuel with food to keep yourself going!
-Past papers are your best friends. Past papers are a great way to know if you understand something, and also allow you to figure out what the examiners are looking for.
-Get yourself the CGP workbooks, they are amazing. I genuinely think the reason why I got good grades in Science GCSE was down to me religiously using those books.

Hope this helps, if you need any more help, just let us know.

Tyler (LU Student Ambassador)
Original post by mp12345678
I am currently in year 11 and I have a mock coming up in the next month. I am predicted at 7s for most of my subjects but when i had assessments recently, maths, physics, biology and physics (i do triple but they combined the sciences into one paper) came back as 5s even though i work quite hard. Does anyone know why this may be? Also how many hours should i study for after school? (i finish at 3.20). Any advice will be very appreciated :smile:

Hello!

Ahh being in year 11 is so exciting, make sure to make memories as you go!

OK so, studying can feel tedious sometimes, but for me I make sure to have a cup of tea ready, so I can sip whilst doing work.

I also write out notes, bullet points is the best option for me, as it is neater and can summarize it to a couple of words.

Another tip is to section your time, do 30 mins of math, take a breather, then go back to another subject.

Another tip that massively helped me to pass my math is do past paper after past paper. Surprisingly, sometimes you'll find that the same questions pop up in the actual test.

Practice always works, so keep going. Don't stress. You have got this!

All the best,
Student Ambassador/Liverpool Hope University (Hassa)
Reply 5
Original post by mp12345678

Flashcards. Got 8s and 7s for STEM in GCSEs because of flashcards. Since you are in Y11 you probably don't have enough time to make some of your own so just go to Quizlet and search for free ones, e.g. just type in a topic on Quizlet and I guarantee you , you will find decent flashcards. Go over them until the facts stay in ur head and then test yourself with past paper qs. GL.
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

I am a 4th year student at Lancaster University, so thought I might chime in and offer some advice.

I remember back at GCSE level, my teachers would mark us lower on mocks in case the grade boundaries were high for the actual exams. This might explain why you have received lower grades than you're used to.

Some of my favourite revision tips are:
-Try blurting; this is where you close all of your notes and from memory, write down everything you can remember about a topic. Once you're finished, open your notes back up and mark what you've written. This is a good way of showing what you are already good at and what you particularly need to focus on.
-Remember to take breaks! Your brain can only work so hard, to learn as effectively as possible, make sure you give yourself enough time to relax and refuel with food to keep yourself going!
-Past papers are your best friends. Past papers are a great way to know if you understand something, and also allow you to figure out what the examiners are looking for.
-Get yourself the CGP workbooks, they are amazing. I genuinely think the reason why I got good grades in Science GCSE was down to me religiously using those books.

Hope this helps, if you need any more help, just let us know.

Tyler (LU Student Ambassador)

Hey this makes sense now! Thanks for your advice on learning techniques :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Liverpool Hope Student Ambassador
Hello!

Ahh being in year 11 is so exciting, make sure to make memories as you go!

OK so, studying can feel tedious sometimes, but for me I make sure to have a cup of tea ready, so I can sip whilst doing work.

I also write out notes, bullet points is the best option for me, as it is neater and can summarize it to a couple of words.

Another tip is to section your time, do 30 mins of math, take a breather, then go back to another subject.

Another tip that massively helped me to pass my math is do past paper after past paper. Surprisingly, sometimes you'll find that the same questions pop up in the actual test.

Practice always works, so keep going. Don't stress. You have got this!

All the best,
Student Ambassador/Liverpool Hope University (Hassa)

Hey thanks very much for your guidance! :smile: I've just started doing past papers for maths.
Reply 8
Original post by Nice_100
Flashcards. Got 8s and 7s for STEM in GCSEs because of flashcards. Since you are in Y11 you probably don't have enough time to make some of your own so just go to Quizlet and search for free ones, e.g. just type in a topic on Quizlet and I guarantee you , you will find decent flashcards. Go over them until the facts stay in ur head and then test yourself with past paper qs. GL.

Thank you very much! I'll add quizlet to my revision techniques! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest