The Student Room Group

Do I do Geography or English Literature for my 3rd option?

Hi, so I have decided to do Fashion and Spanish A-levels however I am not sure if I should do Geography or English lit for my 3rd option. I'm doing well in geography at GCSE however I have heard a few people saying that there is a lot of memorisation, similar to GCSE, which just doesn't really appeal to me. On the flip side, English lit seems interesting however I know that it is a lot of work and especially paired with Spanish so I don't want to overwhelm myself. Also, I am not entirely sure what I want to do as a Career and I am worried about closing possible doors however I wouldn't want to do 4 A-levels.

Does anyone have any idea which would be better for me?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by luciarose23
Hi, so I have decided to do Fashion and Spanish A-levels however I am not sure if I should do Geography or English lit for my 3rd option. I'm doing well in geography at GCSE however I have heard a few people saying that there is a lot of memorisation, similar to GCSE, which just doesn't really appeal to me. On the flip side, English lit seems interesting however I know that it is a lot of work and especially paired with Spanish so I don't want to overwhelm myself. Also, I am not entirely sure what I want to do as a Career and I am worried about closing possible doors however I wouldn't want to do 4 A-levels.

Does anyone have any idea which would be better for me?

Thank you :smile:

Hi @luciarose23,

It's actually quite common for most people to take Spanish and English Literature together in their A-Levels, popular career options with these subjects include: translator, copywriter and language teachers. In terms of university course options, you could be looking at English language and Literature, Latin American Studies, International Relations (and/with Spanish).

However, if you're good and enjoy geography at GCSEs, I'm sure you'll excel just as well at it during A-Levels. A-Levels tend to be an extension of what you've learnt in GCSEs, but with a lot more detail and content obviously. If you're worried about the memorisation aspect of the subject, there are so many revision techniques that should help you tackle that concern such as flashcards, cornell note method, and blurting. You can read all about revision tips and techniques here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl

Ultimately, I think you should start considering which career pathway you'd like to take and pursue in the future to further help you decide which third subject you should take.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @luciarose23,

It's actually quite common for most people to take Spanish and English Literature together in their A-Levels, popular career options with these subjects include: translator, copywriter and language teachers. In terms of university course options, you could be looking at English language and Literature, Latin American Studies, International Relations (and/with Spanish).

However, if you're good and enjoy geography at GCSEs, I'm sure you'll excel just as well at it during A-Levels. A-Levels tend to be an extension of what you've learnt in GCSEs, but with a lot more detail and content obviously. If you're worried about the memorisation aspect of the subject, there are so many revision techniques that should help you tackle that concern such as flashcards, cornell note method, and blurting. You can read all about revision tips and techniques here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl

Ultimately, I think you should start considering which career pathway you'd like to take and pursue in the future to further help you decide which third subject you should take.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Hi Danish,
Thank you so much for responding - this is super helpful! :smile:
Reply 3
Hi Danish,
Thank you so much for responding - this is super helpful! :smile:
Reply 4
Look at the entry requirements for the sort of degree subject you might want to do at Uni - make sure that you are not excluding possible Uni options with the choices you make now.

List of degree subjects at just one Uni - Undergraduate Courses, Degrees : Study : University of Sussex - to give you some ideas about the sort of degree subjects that appeal to you.

Quick Reply

Latest