The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography OCR 6 mark questions

I am doing some revision and came across this question: Explain the impacts of human activity on either the Antarctic or Arctic ecosystem. (6 marks)

Do you need to use a case study or place-specific details to answer this 6-mark questions or can you just explain the impacts of human activities without stats?
You would want to give 3 points/human factors and then explain them. This would give you 2 marks per point, equalling the full 6 marks. Hope this helps☺️
Reply 2
Original post by erin282888441
You would want to give 3 points/human factors and then explain them. This would give you 2 marks per point, equalling the full 6 marks. Hope this helps☺️

Thanks for your reply. I could give 3 factors or two longer paragraphs. Do I need place-specific details for this question or in this case would place-specific details or a case study not be necessary?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by VoiidDev

Thanks for your reply. I could give 3 factors or two longer paragraphs. Do I need place-specific details for this question or in this case would place-specific details or a case study not be necessary?

As this question is a 6 marker, and the mark scheme does not specific the need for place specific details, you do not need to add them, but you could use them to support your answer.

3 example of human activity could include:
-> Tourism (wildlife/landscapes/culture)
-> Mineral exploitation (this is only in the Arctic)
-> Whaling
-> Fishing
-> Scientific research

An example of a well-developed idea:

There are no official restrictions on mining in some of the areas of the Arctic as the countries there have their own priorities and agendas. This has led to pollution, such as oil spills, which have contaminated the water, making it hard for the indigenous people and wildlife who depend on the ocean for food. The reduction in biodiversity would disrupt the food chain and puts some species at risk of becoming extinct.

Quick Reply

Latest