The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough for Physics at Oxford?

My GCSEs are:
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
Maths-7
French-8
Music-8
Art-8
English Lit-6
English Lang-5
I'm worried that my grades aren't good enough and will majorly hinder my application to Oxford for physics, any advice/info on this would be great!
For context: I went to a Private school for my GCSEs with no previously successful Oxbridge applicants. I have just started studying Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-level and I am predicted A*s (currently) in all four.
Original post by Euan B
My GCSEs are:
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
Maths-7
French-8
Music-8
Art-8
English Lit-6
English Lang-5
I'm worried that my grades aren't good enough and will majorly hinder my application to Oxford for physics, any advice/info on this would be great!
For context: I went to a Private school for my GCSEs with no previously successful Oxbridge applicants. I have just started studying Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-level and I am predicted A*s (currently) in all four.

Your A levels are going to be more important but your GCSEs will likely be considered by Oxford. You should try and apply as you still have 4 more options of universities to apply to.
Reply 2
Original post by sophier2005
Your A levels are going to be more important but your GCSEs will likely be considered by Oxford. You should try and apply as you still have 4 more options of universities to apply to.

Thank you!! I'll keep that in mind.
Original post by Euan B
My GCSEs are:
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
Maths-7
French-8
Music-8
Art-8
English Lit-6
English Lang-5

the 7 in maths won’t help
Original post by Euan B
My GCSEs are:
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
Maths-7
French-8
Music-8
Art-8
English Lit-6
English Lang-5
Applying post A-Level i.e. after you have your A-Level certificates, would be much more likely to result in an interview invite and perhaps even an offer afterwards.
Reply 5
https://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/study/undergraduates/how-apply/admissions-procedures-physics-courses

From this you can see a high score in the PAT or new test is very important.
https://www.exeter.ox.ac.uk/applicant-feedback/
Have a look at successful PAT scores on Exeter website.If you can get a great Pat score you will then be interviewed.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Euan B
My GCSEs are:
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
Maths-7
French-8
Music-8
Art-8
English Lit-6
English Lang-5
I could be wrong, but I think GCSEs mainly matter as they can indicate what A-Level grades they think you might actually achieve (as some schools can predict grades optimistically). If you apply in year 13 and are unsuccessful, applying with good achieved grades in a gap year might be better as they could then see what you have achieved, and thus perhaps might focus less on GCSEs (but I'm not an admissions expert, so obvi I can't guarantee anything)
Reply 7
Original post by Euan B
My GCSEs are:
Biology-9
Chemistry-8
Physics-8
Maths-7
French-8
Music-8
Art-8
English Lit-6
English Lang-5
Your GCSEs are fine. They are one element of the score that you will be assigned after you have sat the PAT test, but the score you achieve in the test itself is far more significant. See here: https://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/system/files/file_attachments/AdmissionsReportDec2023.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending