The Student Room Group

unsure about physics A-level

I'm in year 11 and I've already been accepted to the sixth form of my choice having applied for maths, economics, physics and further maths a-levels. I know I will be given a month into year 12 to change my options if need be but recently I've been having doubt about physics. I don't particularly like it but I'm good at maths and did well in my physics mocks and exams (my parents also like the idea of physics). However, I know its a difficult subject and will only be harder if I don't enjoy it but I would still like to do a science for A-level. I feel more interested in chemistry and biology and am more likely to do revision for those than physics. I'm unsure what to do any advice would be appreciated.
I would talk to your teachers at your school, or at the college to discuss what you think. It is also important to talk to your parents about having doubts about your subjects.
A-Level physics is a lot less maths than GCSE, and not really liking the subject will make this harder for you. You may also be able to enter a wider range of careers with a chemistry or biology A-Level, although the grade boundaries for both are still high.
Original post by evakalabina
I'm in year 11 and I've already been accepted to the sixth form of my choice having applied for maths, economics, physics and further maths a-levels. I know I will be given a month into year 12 to change my options if need be but recently I've been having doubt about physics. I don't particularly like it but I'm good at maths and did well in my physics mocks and exams (my parents also like the idea of physics). However, I know its a difficult subject and will only be harder if I don't enjoy it but I would still like to do a science for A-level. I feel more interested in chemistry and biology and am more likely to do revision for those than physics. I'm unsure what to do any advice would be appreciated.
Many of my friends took physics as a 4th and they all dropped it down the line/switched to chem. If you don't like it don't do it. A level chem and bio = my faves and easy to revise for ngl. Just understanding concepts and doing a bunch of PPQs to build exam technique.
Reply 3
Which degree course are you applying for?
Reply 4
Original post by AriTem
Which degree course are you applying for?
I'm thinking about either maths or economics depending on how I do in A-levels hopefully at Cambridge
Reply 5
I think what I might do is have a look at the content covered in physics, chemistry and biology and see what I find what I find most interesting. Hopefully liking the content will make the studying easier
Reply 6
Original post by Tulipbloom
Many of my friends took physics as a 4th and they all dropped it down the line/switched to chem. If you don't like it don't do it. A level chem and bio = my faves and easy to revise for ngl. Just understanding concepts and doing a bunch of PPQs to build exam technique.
I had no idea many people were dropping physics, always was told chemistry was the hardest
Reply 7
As someone who loves physics but finds it an uphill climb, I strongly urge to not to do physics if you don’t enjoy it. It’s a tough subject and gets way way harder as you go along, and since it seems you’re more interested in economics careers, the maths and further maths will serve you just fine, you are better off doing a subject you really enjoy. Why not an essay subject to balance the extra maths? My friend does English lit, economics maths and further and loves it because she really enjoys English. A language could also be really advantageous.
Reply 8
If you want to do maths at cambridge then I'd encourage you to do physics. Yes you won't need it to get in but it will likely help with the applied maths in your undergrad degree. Sometimes you have to do things you like less. I'm pretty sure if you do maths at Cambridge that there are things you will not like as much and even struggle with but you're still going to have to pass those modules. Learning a related subject is almost always beneficial even if the benefits aren't apparent initially.

Quick Reply

Latest