The Student Room Group

Economics A-level

Hi,
I'm currently choosing A-level subjects and have chosen math, further math and physics. I'm planning on doing a fourth A-level and think economics is going to go very well with my other subjects. I just wanted to know how hard Economics is and if i can cope with it alongside my other subjects. Thanks.
Original post by Chrono147
Hi,
I'm currently choosing A-level subjects and have chosen math, further math and physics. I'm planning on doing a fourth A-level and think economics is going to go very well with my other subjects. I just wanted to know how hard Economics is and if i can cope with it alongside my other subjects. Thanks.

Doing 4 A Levels is much harder - as the fourth’s subject learning time take up your independent study time - and you spend more time outside school learning. Try it. If you cant cope, at any point during the year, talk to your sixth form, and they will allow you to drop it.
Reply 2
Original post by Chrono147
Hi,

I've done three of the subjects you're looking to do which are maths, further maths and economics. What I can say is that if you're confident with your mathematical and problem solving skills, and eager to learn topics involving it, then doing maths and further maths alongside economics and physics shouldn't be too difficult for you, and what you should mainly focus your attention towards is the other subjects you may find harder.

Economics can be very easy if you apply your mind to it. I would suggest you start making a habit of activities such as reading the news, and being up to date with the state of the economy, which are important to know about for your application in essays. The microeconomics aspect can seem easy at first, but in your second year it becomes very application-based, and it can be difficult especially when your teacher was as slow as mine was, therefore, remember to always consolidate your learning after every 2 weeks or so, as this can be useful when the exam season comes around.

Personally for me, I had a hard time juggling economics with the other two, since I wasn't very apt with essay-based subjects in the first place, so it's important to consider what you already have an aptitude towards in order to achieve a high grade.

You should also start thinking about how the subjects you're taking will lead you towards the career or industry you want to go into for the future. I recommend starting to look into courses, which relate to your subjects, for unis you're aspiring to go to, and finally, be sure of what you know you will achieve a high grade in because dedicating your time towards a subject you know you're not particularly good at, when that time could've been focused on your other subjects isn't efficient and can result in potentially a lower grade in two subjects that you otherwise wouldn't have gotten. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them x
Reply 3
Thanks this has really been inspirational and helpful, ill be taking economics at A-levels alongside the other subjects I chose and if i cant cope ill have other subjects in line for it. Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest