The Student Room Group

Cambridge NatSci Application with A in maths

Hi guys, I am thinking of applying to Cambridge’s natural science course with 2024 entry. My Alevels are biology, chemistry, physics, maths, and my predictions are: A*A*A*A (A in maths). Would that be a huge disadvantage for a Cambridge application? Thanks!
Original post by ducks_domain
Hi guys, I am thinking of applying to Cambridge’s natural science course with 2024 entry. My Alevels are biology, chemistry, physics, maths, and my predictions are: A*A*A*A (A in maths). Would that be a huge disadvantage for a Cambridge application? Thanks!

I reckon you should be ok. After all, you exceed the entry requirements anyway.

Biological NatSci or Physical NatSci?
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
I reckon you should be ok. After all, you exceed the entry requirements anyway.

Biological NatSci or Physical NatSci?

Thanks for the fast reply. I would like to go down the biological route.:smile:
Original post by ducks_domain
Thanks for the fast reply. I would like to go down the biological route.:smile:

Oh, you should definitely be fine then.

A*’s in bio and chemistry (which you are predicted ofc) would most likely be more important for your application in which case.

Even if you were applying for Physical NatSci, I reckon your chances would still be pretty good.
A* in maths is required by two colleges even for the biological route (Churchill, Lucy Cavendish) and being a confident mathematician is still incredibly important for the biological sciences. Ideally you would be able to get an A*, and I would aim to get my prediction up to an A* if I were you. However, as above, it's not required at most colleges so you should be okay.
Original post by Theloniouss
A* in maths is required by two colleges even for the biological route (Churchill, Lucy Cavendish) and being a confident mathematician is still incredibly important for the biological sciences. Ideally you would be able to get an A*, and I would aim to get my prediction up to an A* if I were you. However, as above, it's not required at most colleges so you should be okay.

Hi, I am starting year 12 this September and I am struggling to decided between biology and physics A level, my other A levels are math, FM and chemistry. From reading the previous posts, I have gathered that math holds much importance in the written exams/ interviews. How good at math should a successful physical/ biological natsci be? How much should you score on SMC and other math competitions? Thank you very much!
Original post by Omithekitten06
Hi, I am starting year 12 this September and I am struggling to decided between biology and physics A level, my other A levels are math, FM and chemistry. From reading the previous posts, I have gathered that math holds much importance in the written exams/ interviews. How good at math should a successful physical/ biological natsci be? How much should you score on SMC and other math competitions? Thank you very much!

Whilst you probably should have started your own thread rather than asking all those questions on this one, my answers and recommendations are as follows:

-Check the link below (look at the Course Outline section) to see which modules appeal the most and which A levels you need to take for them. That kills two birds with one stone: it helps you pick between physics and biology at A level and helps you decide if physical or biological NatSci is the better route.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

-Generally you want to get the highest possible grades you can in all your subjects, so it isn’t worth trying to work out what the bare minimum level of mathematical aptitude you need is.

-Depends as the award thresholds vary each year. Ideally you want to get the highest possible scores you can on the SMC, as getting a gold or even as far as the Olympiad would be quite the flex. However, participating full stop is excellent as the style of thinking needed for a the SMC is pretty different from that used at A level.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Omithekitten06

Maths competitions are useful to have, but not essential. Not everyone has access to SMC and so there is no requirement that you achieve any score.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Whilst you probably should have started your own thread rather than asking all those questions on this one, my answers and recommendations are as follows:

-Check the link below (look at the Course Outline section) to see which modules appeal the most and which A levels you need to take for them. That kills two birds with one stone: it helps you pick between physics and biology at A level and helps you decide if physical or biological NatSci is the better route.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

-Generally you want to get the highest possible grades you can in all your subjects, so it isn’t worth trying to work out what the bare minimum level of mathematical aptitude you need is.

-Depends as the award thresholds vary each year. Ideally you want to get the highest possible scores you can on the SMC, as getting a gold or even as far as the Olympiad would be quite the flex. However, participating full stop is excellent as the style of thinking needed for a the SMC is pretty different from that used at A level.

Thank you very much! I'll start a new thread next time! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending