The Student Room Group

Could I still be offered to study math at uni if I haven't done any olympiads?

I'm currently writing my personal statement for maths. Loads of examples I've seen mention doing maths challenges and olympiads- which I haven't done. It has made me a bit demotivated because I will be competing with people who have hard evidence that they are good a math whilst I only have done math tutoring, some further reading, a bit of coding, and I'm currently involved in a math programme in my local uni.

Are these experiences sufficient enough to apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Loughborough? Or would I be put at a disadvantage because I haven't done any olympiads and stuff like that?
Reply 1
Sounds like youll have a decent personal statement, just write about what youve done and make sure you get the necessary grades which is the most important thing.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by asquerop
I'm currently writing my personal statement for maths. Loads of examples I've seen mention doing maths challenges and olympiads- which I haven't done. It has made me a bit demotivated because I will be competing with people who have hard evidence that they are good a math whilst I only have done math tutoring, some further reading, a bit of coding, and I'm currently involved in a math programme in my local uni.

Are these experiences sufficient enough to apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Loughborough? Or would I be put at a disadvantage because I haven't done any olympiads and stuff like that?

Hi @asquerop

As you've said you do maths tutoring, complete further reading, practice coding and are involved in a maths programme at your local uni. All of these experiences and involvements show unis that you are capable and have a passion for maths - the same way competing in an olympiad does. Look at it this way, being a maths tutor you will have gained valuable skills - communication, time management etc., doing coding and further reading shows that you want to better yourself and your understanding and being involved in a maths programme at your local uni shows that not only are you wanting to further your learning but are committed to doing maths. Take these and use them to show your evidently keen interest in maths but bring more to the table!

Don't be demotivated by example personal statements, you should be proud of these achievements and experiences and use them to show the uni's you're applying to that you're the right person to offer a place and have some confidence in yourself!

Make sure you work hard to meet the entry requirements and write a good personal statement and you'll be fine!

Hope this helps, Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest