The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Audiology BSC at Uni of Manchester

Hi, I'm really curious as to weather I can get into uni of Manchester for Audiology with a grade 55 in GCSE combined science? The entry requirements on the uni website says that you need a grade B or 5 in maths and B/6 in science. However, I have a grade 5 overall in science. So would I be able to do the course?
These are the numerical grade alternatives on their website for GCSE:
A* = 8
A = 7
B = 6
C = 4
(edited 4 months ago)
Generally GCSE results are non negotiable. If you didn’t get the required grades in yr 11 then you’re expected to resit GCSEs to improve your grades.

Are you taking any science A levels?
Have you spoken to Manchester?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Generally GCSE results are non negotiable. If you didn’t get the required grades in yr 11 then you’re expected to resit GCSEs to improve your grades.

Are you taking any science A levels?
Have you spoken to Manchester?

No I haven't spoke to them yet. They are not picking up calls or answering emails. I do BTEC applied science which is accepted for audiology at Manchester. However, I am thinking about going through clearing. Do gcses matter much if you go through clearing?if I get the required grade for a level but I'm only 1 grade away from gcse do you think they will accept me? Especially since audiology is not a popular course.
Thanks for your help!
Original post by jasminej0075
No I haven't spoke to them yet. They are not picking up calls or answering emails. I do BTEC applied science which is accepted for audiology at Manchester. However, I am thinking about going through clearing. Do gcses matter much if you go through clearing?if I get the required grade for a level but I'm only 1 grade away from gcse do you think they will accept me? Especially since audiology is not a popular course.
Thanks for your help!

GCSE requirements will normally still be set in stone in clearing. They exist because you need set levels of maths/English to succeed on the course so there isn't flexibility.
If you're only 1 grade away then why not resit?

Which phone number are you calling at Manchester? Are you calling during working hours?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
GCSE requirements will normally still be set in stone in clearing. They exist because you need set levels of maths/English to succeed on the course so there isn't flexibility.
If you're only 1 grade away then why not resit?

Which phone number are you calling at Manchester? Are you calling during working hours?

I am calling the audiology department at uni of Manchester. The line opens at 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Either I call in the morning or the afternoon. I can also see how many places have been taken up. So far there are only 25/210 people. Isn't the whole point of clearing for unis is to fill up space?
I am calling the audiology department at uni of Manchester. The line opens at 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Either I call in the morning or the afternoon. I can also see how many places have been taken up. So far there are only 25/210 people. Isn't the whole point of clearing for unis is to fill up space?

Call the admissions team

I doubt they have 210 spaces on their audiology degree.

And yes clearing is about matching applicants to vacancies - it isn’t about admitting applicants to courses they don’t have the maths/English skills in to pass.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Call the admissions team

I doubt they have 210 spaces on their audiology degree.

And yes clearing is about matching applicants to vacancies - it isn’t about admitting applicants to courses they don’t have the maths/English skills in to pass.

It says on the Manchester website the number of places/ applicants for audiology. Either way I'm going to try and ask them if I can.
Is there a reason that you aren’t willing to resit your GCSE?
If you think you’re capable of succeeding on a course that requires that level of maths/English then it shouldn’t be difficult to now get the required grades.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
I don't really need to disclose that to you. But thanks for your help!
Reply 9
Also it is not maths/ English that is my concern
It says on the Manchester website the number of places/ applicants for audiology. Either way I'm going to try and ask them if I can.

I think you've misinterpreted the figures. There are 210 applicants for 25 places.
Reply 11
Original post by normaw

I think you've misinterpreted the figures. There are 210 applicants for 25 places.

Oh okay thank you. Does this mean that clearing would most likely not happen for Manchester?
Oh okay thank you. Does this mean that clearing would most likely not happen for Manchester?

It's hard to say for certain, but I wouldn't bank on it being in clearing. Do phone and clarify if you would need to resit your science GCSE.
Reply 13
Ty!
Hey girl I’m probably too late but when I emailed 3 months ago, they said as long as u meet the gcse requirements and level 3 qualifications you’ll be fine, it was very vague so sorry! Also u may still be able to get in through clearing, I’m pretty sure there’s only a few places on the course cus it’s not the most popular, so it’s worth trying! Best I can do to help x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending