The Student Room Group

Primary School PGCE - Maths skills test... help :(

Hi,

I am hoping to apply for a Primary School PGCE in the near future.

UCL being my main goal but I will apply to a variety of universities in London.

My issue is that there will be skills test during the assessment centre day for Maths and English. I am not too worried about English (although any advice will be appreciated) however, Maths is my biggest worry. Although I am applying for Primary PGCE, do you think (or from your experience do you know) if in the test there will be GCSE level maths questions?

What range to topics do you think I'll need to study for the tests?

Thank you for your help in advance xxx
Hi, im also worried about the maths test as maths is my weak point
If you search on Google for PGCE maths tests, you can find exemplar papers

Im so hesitant to even send my application off because i am worried about doing the test.

I wish you all the best and i hope to hear an update!
Good Luck :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Strawberrytae
Hi,

I am hoping to apply for a Primary School PGCE in the near future.

UCL being my main goal but I will apply to a variety of universities in London.

My issue is that there will be skills test during the assessment centre day for Maths and English. I am not too worried about English (although any advice will be appreciated) however, Maths is my biggest worry. Although I am applying for Primary PGCE, do you think (or from your experience do you know) if in the test there will be GCSE level maths questions?

What range to topics do you think I'll need to study for the tests?

Thank you for your help in advance xxx

Hi @Strawberrytae

Please do not worry about the professional skills tests, as they no longer exist. Training providers are accountable to ensure that you are sufficiently literate and numerate, and so may ask you to do some tests during interview, so that they can see if any further support is needed during your training. If there are weak areas, they often will provide extra 'lessons' for you to boost your own maths skills. There are lots of resources online if you search for them, but these can be overwhelming of you are already nervous. My advice would be to get a Get into Teaching adviser. We are all ex teachers who provide support in the application and interview process. Our advice is free too.

Good luck!

Tracy
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
hi there.
So does that mean I don’t have to do a skills test before I finish my teacher training course ?
Reply 5
Original post by carosisi
hi there.
So does that mean I don’t have to do a skills test before I finish my teacher training course ?

It depends on the university, most universities do audit tests just to see where you are at in your own knowledge of maths and english so if need be they can provide you with additional support.
Reply 6
Ok thank you .
Someone said that they didn’t have to do it of the year 20/21 so I’m abit confused but like you said depends on the uni
Reply 7
Original post by carosisi
Ok thank you .
Someone said that they didn’t have to do it of the year 20/21 so I’m abit confused but like you said depends on the uni

Hi,

I forgot I had made a student room account and that I made this thread.

I just want to say that I applied for the primary PGCE at UCL and got accepted in July.

They have an assessment day where they do maths and english audit tests (they ask you not to use a calculator as they simply want to see your skill level). If you get less than 60-65% of the answers correct they will enrol you in some math sessions or english sessions.

Do not worry and please apply even if you’re scared. I suck at maths and was too scared to even revise it and I still got accepted…I wish the best for anyone applying soon for next academic year! <3

P.S please note this was for UCL. I did get interviews for all 4 of my uni that I applied to. Roehampton also does a maths and english audit but it’s wayyyy easier/shorter than UCL.
Reply 8
Thank you very much this is very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending