The Student Room Group

A levels for PPE

From doing some research, I know many people recommend doing maths at A level (and is required by some universities), so I think that's a strong option, however then I'm concerned about having not studied one of the subjects within PPE before uni. So then I think about doing all 4 A levels, but then I wonder if that'd be too much, so go back to choosing the 3. But then again, I'm relatively good at maths (predicted a 9), so maybe it wouldn't be a huge extra?

So if I do 3, with maths as one, I'm unsure as to the other 2 options. I'm looking at doing 2 from politics, economics and philosophy/RS, however I'm unsure which to go with. I have no really strong sway towards any of the 3 over the others, so I guess it comes down to which is most useful in studying PPE.

I'm kind of stuck in an infinite loop of thoughts:
Okay, I'll do 4 A levels. Maths, econ, politics and RS.
But wait, maybe that's too much work and I should only do 3.
But what 3 do I do?
I know, I'll do maths and 2 others! But what two?
Or should I not do maths, then I'll have studied all 3 parts of PPE before uni
Or should I just do all 4?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
I do PPE at Oxford, and I didn’t study any of the three subjects at A level it’s not a problem at all if you don’t. All you need is maths, as you say, and then preferably at least one essay subject.
Original post by Crrogleysn
From doing some research, I know many people recommend doing maths at A level (and is required by some universities), so I think that's a strong option, however then I'm concerned about having not studied one of the subjects within PPE before uni. So then I think about doing all 4 A levels, but then I wonder if that'd be too much, so go back to choosing the 3. But then again, I'm relatively good at maths (predicted a 9), so maybe it wouldn't be a huge extra?

So if I do 3, with maths as one, I'm unsure as to the other 2 options. I'm looking at doing 2 from politics, economics and philosophy/RS, however I'm unsure which to go with. I have no really strong sway towards any of the 3 over the others, so I guess it comes down to which is most useful in studying PPE.

But what 3 do I do?

Many universities will suggest studying maths, but that's usually the only subject requirement for PPE.
Many students will do PPE at university having not studied any of these disciplines at A-Level or equivalent.
Maths is advised, and some universities will also expect an essay-based subject, which your other choices fulfil well.
Doing three A Levels is fine.
Original post by Crrogleysn

But what 3 do I do?

3 a levels, including maths and an essay subject of your choice would be more than enough 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending