The Student Room Group

A-Level Literature poetry comparison

Hi! Does anybody have any advice for the poetry comparison part of paper 2 for Eduqas? I study Heaney and Sheers, but we didn't do the anthology at GCSE, so I'm struggling with how exactly to revise for it...

I know what I need to do: get the general idea of the poems we have done in class and then find connections across texts. My main problem, however, is that I don't know how. In class, I feel as though we only discussed poems in isolation - there was never any thematic or comparative mention. How do I know which poems to talk about when answering a question, and how they link with other poems?

Thank you <3
Reply 1
Original post by xmxckenziesmith
Hi! Does anybody have any advice for the poetry comparison part of paper 2 for Eduqas? I study Heaney and Sheers, but we didn't do the anthology at GCSE, so I'm struggling with how exactly to revise for it...

I know what I need to do: get the general idea of the poems we have done in class and then find connections across texts. My main problem, however, is that I don't know how. In class, I feel as though we only discussed poems in isolation - there was never any thematic or comparative mention. How do I know which poems to talk about when answering a question, and how they link with other poems?

Thank you <3
Hi i do english alevel with Eduqas - although i do Larkin and Duffy hopefully this may help!!

My advice would be to make a list of the possible themes/ questions which may come up for your poets and then on the list plan which poems you would talk about for each theme - and then once you have done that you will know which poems are worth learning! Also try and find the poems which have the most themes/ would be applicable to most questions.

To structure the response try and find two poems which have obvious similarities and differences. For example on a question for love i would do a paragraph on how both poets have a positive out look on love and then my second paragraph would be about how my poets reference love through the use of memories.

hope this helps!!! ( although this is advice from my teachers so may not be 100% relevant to your texts)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending