The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A levels for LSE accounting and finance

Hi I want to apply to LSE to study accounting and finance as it has been a long-standing dream of mine. However, I am struggling to choose my a level options.

I don't want to take a level further maths however I still really want to get into LSE.

I am currently considering maths, econ and either psychology, classics or english lit a levels. Which of these options do you think would increase my chances of getting accepted into LSE? Or does anyone have any tips in general for applying to LSE accounting and finance? :smile:)
Original post by megummiess
Hi I want to apply to LSE to study accounting and finance as it has been a long-standing dream of mine. However, I am struggling to choose my a level options.
I don't want to take a level further maths however I still really want to get into LSE.
I am currently considering maths, econ and either psychology, classics or english lit a levels. Which of these options do you think would increase my chances of getting accepted into LSE? Or does anyone have any tips in general for applying to LSE accounting and finance? :smile:)
Hey, I got an A + F offer this week and I didn't take further maths. From the spreadsheet of offers so far I would say that not many people do fm. I think further maths is more important if you wanna do straight finance. But make sure to show your passion for maths and willingness to learn more maths. Just do what you enjoy and are strong at for your last a level.

Tips:
When writing your ps, look at the lse accounting and finance page to see what they are looking for by using the entry requirements, subject combinations and assessing your application sections. Try to use similar language to their criteria and demonstrate the skills that they want. Also, focus the research for your ps on a topic linked to the course e.g. a specific module, to show that you are well suited.

I'm not sure if classics counts as a "traditional academic subject" so be wary of that.

Good luck!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey, I got an A + F offer this week and I didn't take further maths. From the spreadsheet of offers so far I would say that not many people do fm. I think further maths is more important if you wanna do straight finance. But make sure to show your passion for maths and willingness to learn more maths. Just do what you enjoy and are strong at for your last a level.
Tips:
When writing your ps, look at the lse accounting and finance page to see what they are looking for by using the entry requirements, subject combinations and assessing your application sections. Try to use similar language to their criteria and demonstrate the skills that they want. Also, focus the research for your ps on a topic linked to the course e.g. a specific module, to show that you are well suited.
I'm not sure if classics counts as a "traditional academic subject" so be wary of that.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice and congrats on the offer!!!

On the LSE subject combinations page classics is listed as part of their tradition subjects/“preferred” subjects however I know it is not a STEM based subject. Do you think I could still get away with taking it as my last subject?
No problem and thanks!! Yes, since its listed Classics should be fine. I don't think you need all A-Levels to be STEM based subjects to get in and it's good to have a range of subjects.
Good luck!!!
Hi there. I got an offer for LSE A+F recently as well though I reapplied while I was at uni. I didn’t do further maths but I did get 97% on A-Level maths which may have helped. I also did Econ, Maths, History and EPQ. For PS advice i’d just say try doing everything you can to get yourself involved in finance. Maybe start a finance newsletter, join essay competitions and go to like big4 insight events ect ect. I would also make sure your GCSE grades are good as they love those as well for some reason. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there. I got an offer for LSE A+F recently as well though I reapplied while I was at uni. I didn’t do further maths but I did get 97% on A-Level maths which may have helped. I also did Econ, Maths, History and EPQ. For PS advice i’d just say try doing everything you can to get yourself involved in finance. Maybe start a finance newsletter, join essay competitions and go to like big4 insight events ect ect. I would also make sure your GCSE grades are good as they love those as well for some reason. Good luck!

Wow!! That's an amazing result congrats on your result and thank you for the advice!! Would you say that doing an EPQ or a 4th a level would boost my chances of being accepted?
Original post by megummiess
Wow!! That's an amazing result congrats on your result and thank you for the advice!! Would you say that doing an EPQ or a 4th a level would boost my chances of being accepted?

I mean I don’t think either actually I don’t think I even mentioned it in my PS. If you take a forth A Level I would categorically say further maths. That was my biggest regret as it does open so many doors. But don’t spread yourself too thinly I think the extra curriculars are more important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending