The Student Room Group

Help on english aqa gcse

Does anyone have any tips. I've been stuck on a grade six and I would love to get at least a 7 on my gcse. For lang I'm doing Inspector calls, Love and Relationship poetry, Sign Of Four and Macbeth. If anybody has any advice I will be so grateful!
Reply 1
Original post by urmom8989713263
Does anyone have any tips. I've been stuck on a grade six and I would love to get at least a 7 on my gcse. For lang I'm doing Inspector calls, Love and Relationship poetry, Sign Of Four and Macbeth. If anybody has any advice I will be so grateful!

I didn't do your exam board but I got a 9 in lit and Lang for GCSE! My top tips would be:
1) read all of your texts from cover to cover at least twice (not including reading them in class). This ensures you will have great knowledge of the plot, and makes it easier for you to contextualise extracts, or remember the journeys of key characters
2) For poetry, I cannot recommend making A4 revision sheets for each of your set poems enough! Add key quotes (and include analysis ) , write about the form, structure, meter, rhyme, key themes and write a brief summary of what occurs in each poem. Closer to exams I wrote essay plans for possible essays that I though may come up (pick a theme) on the back of my poem factfile which made writing my essay much easier as I had already thought of how I would structure an essay on the poem!
3) For plays, don't forget to mention the impact each thing you analysis has on the AUDIENCE - it can be easy to forget it's a play, but examiners really like you mentioning stagecraft and the fact that the play was meant to be performed.
Hope this helps 🙂 lmk if u have any more questions
3)
Thank you so much, this is so useful ! Did you find flashcards useful to remember everything or not?
Reply 3
Original post by urmom8989713263
Thank you so much, this is so useful ! Did you find flashcards useful to remember everything or not?

I only used quizlet flash cards to remember the plot sequence for my texts - apart from that i didn’t use flash cards as I knew the physical ones would take so long to make and wouldn’t be extremely useful for me. That being said, I know people who did rlly well at GCSE and used flash cards to remember key quotes and the analysis for them, so it’s really whatever works for u! I think u could also use flash cards by writing an essay question on one side and then summarising your essay plan/structure on the other side - don’t forget to test yourself regularly if u want the info to stick in 🙂
Tbh, in hindsight, flash cards would have been rlly useful for me if I’d made them earlier on (i.e the Christmas holidays)- just bear in mind they can take a long time to make by hand !
Original post by dogz32
I only used quizlet flash cards to remember the plot sequence for my texts - apart from that i didn’t use flash cards as I knew the physical ones would take so long to make and wouldn’t be extremely useful for me. That being said, I know people who did rlly well at GCSE and used flash cards to remember key quotes and the analysis for them, so it’s really whatever works for u! I think u could also use flash cards by writing an essay question on one side and then summarising your essay plan/structure on the other side - don’t forget to test yourself regularly if u want the info to stick in 🙂
Tbh, in hindsight, flash cards would have been rlly useful for me if I’d made them earlier on (i.e the Christmas holidays)- just bear in mind they can take a long time to make by hand !

Thank you so much this has been very helpful and I really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending