The Student Room Group

ECA Portfolio help!

Im sending off my mini portfolios, Ive sent off all of them except edinburgh! The descriptors for what they want from each section are so cryptic, does anyone have anything that can help? Does the 'context' area literally just want images of things that inspire me? Thank you
Original post by soldier_510
Im sending off my mini portfolios, Ive sent off all of them except edinburgh! The descriptors for what they want from each section are so cryptic, does anyone have anything that can help? Does the 'context' area literally just want images of things that inspire me? Thank you

I'm the same, Im trying to send of my portfolio for ECA, however am not having the best of luck, as not sure what each section means. Have u understood it any further?
i'm applying too and finding it all very confusing, but yes I take the contextual section to mean pieces of work from artists that inspire us and also generally things which inspire us, eg the things you love. I think I'll also use the 255 character long description allowed for each image to describe/explain my choices :-)
Reply 3
Original post by annabb27272

I'm the same, Im trying to send of my portfolio for ECA, however am not having the best of luck, as not sure what each section means. Have u understood it any further?

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, but in the end I decided that they wanted us to simply interpret it in our own way. I put my experimentation in the first section, any art that I thought was me developing an idea in the second, final pieces in the third, and things that inspired me (other artists, folk tales etc) in the final one, alongside a little description of why! :smile:
Hi! Sorry for the late reply, but in the end I decided that they wanted us to simply interpret it in our own way. I put my experimentation in the first section, any art that I thought was me developing an idea in the second, final pieces in the third, and things that inspired me (other artists, folk tales etc) in the final one, alongside a little description of why! :smile:

interesting! coincidentally just submitted mine like 10 minutes ago lol but i did basically the same thing but the first and second switched with a bit of development in the second section too. best of luck!!!! <3
Reply 5
Original post by OfficialJimmyCli

interesting! coincidentally just submitted mine like 10 minutes ago lol but i did basically the same thing but the first and second switched with a bit of development in the second section too. best of luck!!!! <3

You too!! I also submitted mine today lol
Wait I'm not sure how to submit my portfolio. I didn't even get my edinburgh id yet..
Reply 7
Original post by tokyolee0918
Wait I'm not sure how to submit my portfolio. I didn't even get my edinburgh id yet..

Oh no! What course have you applied for? I'd assume they have an email online somewhere where you can maybe ask about your MyEd login?
Reply 8
Hi! I'm currently still working on my portfolio and it's stressing me out a ridiculous amount haha. Did you guys include any text on the images themselves or did you only use the 255 character description? I've emailed the university but I doubt they'll get back to me on time lmao
Reply 9
Original post by Hal1600
Hi! I'm currently still working on my portfolio and it's stressing me out a ridiculous amount haha. Did you guys include any text on the images themselves or did you only use the 255 character description? I've emailed the university but I doubt they'll get back to me on time lmao

Some of my images had text on them, but I didn't include them because of the text, it just happened to be there (for example, I had a page with some images, and then some notes in the margins). I definitely used the 225 character description for each image!
Hi! For each of your 20 pages did you include more than one image per page? If so whats the max you put on a page? Need help ASAP Thanks :smile:
Original post by rj123456789
Hi! For each of your 20 pages did you include more than one image per page? If so whats the max you put on a page? Need help ASAP Thanks :smile:

I want to know this too please!!! Feeling a bit stressed by the Edinburgh portfolio 😅
Reply 12
Original post by rj123456789

Hi! I usually stuck to about one main subject for each image, but there were a few (maybe two or three overall) where I included two images if I felt like it was really necessary! I think generally you'd be fine having an extra page here and there though! As long as it's clearly there for a purpose/fits any themes you're showing!
Reply 13
Original post by Katherine12

I want to know this too please!!! Feeling a bit stressed by the Edinburgh portfolio 😅

See response to rj123456789 😁😁
See response to rj123456789 😁😁

Thank you so much!
Hi! I usually stuck to about one main subject for each image, but there were a few (maybe two or three overall) where I included two images if I felt like it was really necessary! I think generally you'd be fine having an extra page here and there though! As long as it's clearly there for a purpose/fits any themes you're showing!

OK cool thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest