The Student Room Group

Should I list a job that can't provide a reference?

I'm looking to get a 'proper' childcare job in the near future once I turn 18. I don't have much to put on my CV but I had a pretty informal job (cash in hand, as and when required) up until last summer babysitting for a a local family. I would like to put it on my CV but their English isn't good enough to provide a reference.

On the one hand, it's the only paid employment I've had and adds to a pretty bare CV. On the other hand, I can see it looking 'dodgy' that I can't provide a reference for my one and only paid job. I can provide a clean DBS and, for jobs that require 2 references, I can provide them with references from my college and a school I volunteered in. However, will they specifically ask for one from my last employer? If they do can I just explain that I can't provide one without it seeming weird (especially because I'm looking for childcare jobs)?

I feel really stupid asking this but I don't know what's for the best. I've thought about writing myself and asking if they'd send it but, call me a fool, I'm not comfortable with the dishonesty :frown:. TIA.
Original post by Super777
I'm looking to get a 'proper' childcare job in the near future once I turn 18. I don't have much to put on my CV but I had a pretty informal job (cash in hand, as and when required) up until last summer babysitting for a a local family. I would like to put it on my CV but their English isn't good enough to provide a reference.

On the one hand, it's the only paid employment I've had and adds to a pretty bare CV. On the other hand, I can see it looking 'dodgy' that I can't provide a reference for my one and only paid job. I can provide a clean DBS and, for jobs that require 2 references, I can provide them with references from my college and a school I volunteered in. However, will they specifically ask for one from my last employer? If they do can I just explain that I can't provide one without it seeming weird (especially because I'm looking for childcare jobs)?

I feel really stupid asking this but I don't know what's for the best. I've thought about writing myself and asking if they'd send it but, call me a fool, I'm not comfortable with the dishonesty :frown:. TIA.

Don't worry about it now. It's only an issue when you are offered a job and need to provide a reference. Then you just have the conversation - "This job was for a family who don't speak or write English. If you want a reference it would be given in X and you would have to translate it". That's fine and it is then up to the new employer to decide if they want to go through that or not. You ought to think up a few other people you can offer as referees though.
Reply 2
It’s fine, you can talk about it at interview and no one will expect someone at 18 to have a long and referencable career history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending