The Student Room Group

Lying on my cv to get a job

I'm 18 and just left 6form and finding a job for my gap year seems impossible. I have applied for 50+ jobs and have done mainly volunteering work experience (homeless shelter tutoring younger children) but i always get back from employers when i apply to entry level retail like wh smith Primark h+m etc that this is not relevant to them.
If I lie on my cv and say I've worked in a proper retail environment would they know and if you've done it before tell me how it went lol.
(edited 9 months ago)
I mean they'll probably expect a reference if you say you've worked in a previous retail environment, and if you can't provide one then they'll probably assume you left there under very poor circumstances at best, which would probably do as much or more harm to your chances of getting a job. Or they will figure out you were lying to them, which will likewise not improve your chances.
Original post by greenamy2
I'm 18 and just left 6form and finding a job for my gap year seems impossible. I have applied for 50+ jobs and have done mainly volunteering work experience (homeless shelter tutoring younger children) but i always get back from employers when i apply to entry level retail like wh smith Primark h+m etc that this is not relevant to them.
If I lie on my cv and say I've worked in a proper retail environment would they know and if you've done it before tell me how it went lol.

its risky, because they can ask for contact to check and stuff.
But if you say you worked your grandma (who has died of X causes) who had a shop then it could prove useful, perhaps to get one of your family/friends to cover for you (pretend to be grandma or mom or dad and say you did indeed).

But just saying, if you do, do it once, so you don't have to lie every time and build your life on lies.

btw, I am 15, I haven't actually applied for a job but I am just thinking it will probably work, u can take some else advice if you want.
Reply 3

It's illegal to lie on your CV:

https://www.reed.com/articles/lying-on-a-cv

Maybe you need to work on how you present yourself on your CV; get professional advice.
Reply 4

Could you try getting retail experience in charity shops? I volunteered in one local to me and they seemed to always be wanting new volunteers. In terms of CVs it shows you’ve got some experience, and if you’re in the process of applying to jobs you’ll have free time to volunteer.
Reply 5

I am 18 and have had 2 retail jobs and 1 hospitality at nationwide chains and can confirm they do not care about references they just like to know you've had experience basically. I suggest that you say that you've worked somewhere in your town that has shut down e.g. a shop/supermarket that they would have known of that has recently closed, and just lie and say that you've worked there for a couple of months then it closed, as if worse comes to worse and for some reason they do ask for a reference (which in my experience has never happened) they'll have no where to go for one.

But overall you could just lie about somewhere that is still open, I really doubt they'll ask for references
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6

Don't lie on your CV or any job applications as it will come back to haunt you.
What would you do when they asking you questions about the job ( especially in a area you can't answer).

Be truthful and it doesn't matter if you do have any previously experience in retailing okay as tell me how many 16 year olds have experience in retailing when they applying and get the job.

Have you explained in your CV things that relate to retail e.g I have great conversational skills as I have worked at a homeless shelter. In this role I talk to many different kinds of people etc. Just lay it on thick about anything that would help in retail. I managed to get a job in asda at 16 with no other experience other than volunteering work like yours.
I don’t think it’s a good idea to lie though, this probably didn’t help but I hope you get a job soon.
Terrible idea.

Even if this works at any point you could be fired for cause, technically it is fraud. In future job applications (especially decent employers) you will be asked about employment history including hsve you ever been terminated/asked to resign, any criminal records as well as potentially formal background checks.

Whilst this might seem trivial for a bit of minimum wage part time work, should you get caught put the effects could be long lasting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending