The Student Room Group

Does it make sense to buy expensive luxury cosmetics if cheaper ones perform the same

Recently I realized that I often spend money on girly things. Such as expensive cosmetics, they bring me joy and pleasure, but is it really necessary for girls? Or is it just successful marketing?
Original post by mia_davis
Recently I realized that I often spend money on girly things. Such as expensive cosmetics, they bring me joy and pleasure, but is it really necessary for girls? Or is it just successful marketing?

In my personal opinion, theres no point in buying smt expensive if you can buy smt else similar for the same service. When it comes to cosmetics, once you put it on ur face - no one is gonna think "omg is that the dior lip oil" bc no one can tell whereas i can understand if someone prefers to buy a luxury bag bc most of the time you can tell its a luxury bag ya know? Expensive cosmetics isn't a necessary for girls, idk why anyone would ever think that. If you have the money and you like the product, go for it but alot of the time its successful marketing - that doesn't make it a bad thing.
Reply 2
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
In my personal opinion, theres no point in buying smt expensive if you can buy smt else similar for the same service. When it comes to cosmetics, once you put it on ur face - no one is gonna think "omg is that the dior lip oil" bc no one can tell whereas i can understand if someone prefers to buy a luxury bag bc most of the time you can tell its a luxury bag ya know? Expensive cosmetics isn't a necessary for girls, idk why anyone would ever think that. If you have the money and you like the product, go for it but alot of the time its successful marketing - that doesn't make it a bad thing.

Yes, I agree with you. It's just that sometimes I think that my desire to buy expensive luxury cosmetics is dictated only by high-quality advertising on tiktok or other social media.
Reply 3
honestly at times theyre better but then sometimes you see the cheap and expenny have really similar formulas and it really is just great marketting. smt my friends stick to is an expenny base and then cheap eyeshadow, lippy etc.

Quick Reply

Latest