The Student Room Group

learning how to drive

I'm 19 and want to start learning how to drive as I know it'll come in handy in the future on certain occasions.

I've downloaded a 4 in 1 theory app. My sister told me to start doing driving lessons, then revise for my theory alongside. I'm quite nervous to get on the road and realise I've been procrastinating it for a long time as driving is something that scares me (but I'll firm it bc I need to know how to drive).

Any advice? Also how much does a usual manual driving lesson cost in London? The cheapest ive found is £27, but surely there is cheaper somewhere? I would like an female manual instructor in East London.

Also, with my theory, do I just keep doing mock tests to revise, or is there a book or something I learn from, then test myself via mocks? All the apps ive seen only have mock questions rather than lessons if that makes sense

thanks
Reply 1
The questions on the test don’t tend to vary that much so the mock papers are the best way to revise for the test itself as almost identical questions will come up.

In regard to prices for lesson, £27 is insanely cheap particularly for the south east. I learnt to drive 2 years ago and lessons were £28-30 an hr and that was deemed pretty standard at the time. Now lessons are closer to £35ph in this part of the country (I’m just outside london). Female instructors are also more in demand and so tend to be slightly more expensive x
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 19 and want to start learning how to drive as I know it'll come in handy in the future on certain occasions.

I've downloaded a 4 in 1 theory app. My sister told me to start doing driving lessons, then revise for my theory alongside. I'm quite nervous to get on the road and realise I've been procrastinating it for a long time as driving is something that scares me (but I'll firm it bc I need to know how to drive).

Any advice? Also how much does a usual manual driving lesson cost in London? The cheapest ive found is £27, but surely there is cheaper somewhere? I would like an female manual instructor in East London.

Also, with my theory, do I just keep doing mock tests to revise, or is there a book or something I learn from, then test myself via mocks? All the apps ive seen only have mock questions rather than lessons if that makes sense

thanks

£27 is really cheap. i used the 4 in 1 app loads and thats all you need. also as the world moves on, unless you're going to buy a manual car (as they're cheaper) i recommend just doing automatic if you want to save time and money on lessons. if youre nervous it might also be a shout.

i drive manual but i did so because 1) i love cars and driving and manual's more fun and 2) i was gonna buy a cheaper manual car.

if you dont care for the more fun, in control driving experience, want to get it over and done with and are going to buy an auto, do auto
£27 is ridiculously cheap, especially for London.

We live in Yorkshire and it's £30 an hour for my daughter (actually I think it's gone up to £32 now), when booked as a block of 10.
Reply 4
I pay £34 hour, and £36 hour is weekends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending