The Student Room Group

is this laptop be good to use at uni and everyday use?

So I am looking to buy a laptop to use mainly for uni work and other things and I have found this one online at Argos:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9598056?clickSR=slp:term:laptops:2:245:2
Does it look like a good investment if I buy it or no? thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Amin7
So I am looking to buy a laptop to use mainly for uni work and other things and I have found this one online at Argos:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9598056?clickSR=slp:term:laptops:2:245:2
Does it look like a good investment if I buy it or no? thanks in advance

What is your budget? What will it be used for?

In all honesty, and I can appreciate funds for such items can be a limitation, but with this device you will get frustrated with in matter of weeks if not days. Sure, first hand it may seem quick but just not enough power or resources to run Windows Operating System. One you have a few browser tabs open and application or two it will begin to feel sluggish and your productivity will suffer.

This is an extremely low-end machine, more for primary/secondary. So certainly NOT for Uni work.

If budget is tight, you are better off looking for a laptop that is a 1-3 years old, but of higher spec. They will out perform any of these machines being sold by Argos. Try Facebook Marketplace, I have found a number of business laptops that people have been provided with by their companies but never returned as the companies do a refresh every 3 years. However these are more than capable of running the applications you need to do for uni work.

Just make sure it comes with its power adapter, the battery charges, some may have cosmetic signs of use, scratches, but this won't affect its use.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by westty
What is your budget? What will it be used for?

In all honesty, and I can appreciate funds for such items can be a limitation, but with this device you will get frustrated with in matter of weeks if not days. Sure, first hand it may seem quick but just not enough power or resources to run Windows Operating System. One you have a few browser tabs open and application or two it will begin to feel sluggish and your productivity will suffer.

This is an extremely low-end machine, more for primary/secondary. So certainly NOT for Uni work.

You are right to point out that the system resources aren't enough to run a fair amount of applications simultaneously. But this is a cloudbook meaning most activities are intended to be run on the cloud (office 365 for web) and such. Therefore for the system resources it is quite a good device for note taking and light Web browsing. If op is looking for an "e notebook" with Web functionality then I think this laptop is suitable ESPECIALLY if budget is an issue.
Reply 3
Original post by Honkous
You are right to point out that the system resources aren't enough to run a fair amount of applications simultaneously. But this is a cloudbook meaning most activities are intended to be run on the cloud (office 365 for web) and such. Therefore for the system resources it is quite a good device for note taking and light Web browsing. If op is looking for an "e notebook" with Web functionality then I think this laptop is suitable ESPECIALLY if budget is an issue.

Even being a "cloudbook", if all applications run in a browser. It's the browser themselves that will be resource hungry. Whether using for Office online,(which you won't use, as Uni's will provide a free license for the full productivity suite) or watching Youtube, Netflix with 4GB, and ultra budget CPU this will slow the machine down. But the real question is, is this a viable investment, No.
Original post by westty
Even being a "cloudbook", if all applications run in a browser. It's the browser themselves that will be resource hungry. Whether using for Office online,(which you won't use, as Uni's will provide a free license for the full productivity suite) or watching Youtube, Netflix with 4GB, and ultra budget CPU this will slow the machine down. But the real question is, is this a viable investment, No.

Fully agree with you. This laptop will barely run a 1080p youtube video with word open...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending