The Student Room Group

Concert tickets friends

I'm try and summarise quickly

Me and 2 friends decided to try and find some concert tickets to see a musician. After lots of delays and talking when it came to get the tickets there was only 2 £86 and 1 £102 which meant someone would pay extra which wouldn't necessarily be fair. The plan was for one person to buy all 3 tickets so we were next to each other. Instead my 2 friends went behind my back and each others back and bookrd their tickets (cheap ones) which means I'm left with the expensive ticket.

Now I could have been sneaky too and gotten a cheap ticket before them but I didn't think it was fair for the one person to then have to pay extra when we could just all pay the £102 instead and sit somewhere else

I am now thinking of not going just out of principle of communication as there was a lack of it. Am I being over dramatic?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm try and summarise quickly

Me and 2 friends decided to try and find some concert tickets to see a musician. After lots of delays and talking when it came to get the tickets there was only 2 £86 and 1 £102 which meant someone would pay extra which wouldn't necessarily be fair. The plan was for one person to buy all 3 tickets so we were next to each other. Instead my 2 friends went behind my back and each others back and bookrd their tickets (cheap ones) which means I'm left with the expensive ticket.

Now I could have been sneaky too and gotten a cheap ticket before them but I didn't think it was fair for the one person to then have to pay extra when we could just all pay the £102 instead and sit somewhere else

I am now thinking of not going just out of principle of communication as there was a lack of it. Am I being over dramatic?

You are not being over dramatic. However there's an element of "cutting off you nose to spite your face" about it. (An odd expression, I know.)

Presumably you want to see this musician in concert. Was the plan for you all to buy higher-priced tickets, next to each other, or to buy two cheap and one expensive, and split the cost of all three equally?

If you'd shared the cost of the one higher-priced ticket, then you'd each have paid £91.33, so (if you went) you'd be now having to pay £10.67 more than that. So it's not going to be crippling financially.

If you opted not to go, on principal, it would risk harmibg your relationship with the other too, right? Is the principal worth that? (Personally it would be; there's not a chance I'd go under these circumstances.)

If you booked now, are you sure you'd be sitting with them anyway?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You are not being over dramatic. However there's an element of "cutting off you nose to spite your face" about it. (An odd expression, I know.)

Presumably you want to see this musician in concert. Was the plan for you all to buy higher-priced tickets, next to each other, or to buy two cheap and one expensive, and split the cost of all three equally?

If you'd shared the cost of the one higher-priced ticket, then you'd each have paid £91.33, so (if you went) you'd be now having to pay £10.67 more than that. So it's not going to be crippling financially.

If you opted not to go, on principal, it would risk harmibg your relationship with the other too, right? Is the principal worth that? (Personally it would be; there's not a chance I'd go under these circumstances.)

If you booked now, are you sure you'd be sitting with them anyway?

The plan was to get the higher priced tickets but then they both just bought the cheaper ones when that wasn't the plan.

I did consider doing that (splitting three ways) but since they sneakily bought the tickets then I doubt they'd be willing to even do that now plus I wouldn't want the awkwardness from it if they were like no why should we do that.

I did explain to them that I wasn't paying the 102 when they paid cheaper. If it was discussed and both of them said hey we'd prefer the cheaper tickets just because it's better for us financially then fair enough but they didn't say that and I don't love that musician to be paying a higher price ticket, I was just going for fun.

It's standing tickets so I'd still be with them but paying more to be in the exact same spot as them when they paid cheaper doesn't even make sense, I'd also have to get a taxi home which would be expensive so the cost of the whole thing wouldn'tbe worth it to see an musician in not head over heels for. I'll just explain that I couldn't get a ticket and that I'm not paying the more expensive one when they paid cheaper.

Hopefully they understand and i hope it doesn't dissolve the relationship but they didn't consider our relationship when they both done that so...
Original post by Anonymous
The plan was to get the higher priced tickets but then they both just bought the cheaper ones when that wasn't the plan.

I did consider doing that (splitting three ways) but since they sneakily bought the tickets then I doubt they'd be willing to even do that now plus I wouldn't want the awkwardness from it if they were like no why should we do that.

I did explain to them that I wasn't paying the 102 when they paid cheaper. If it was discussed and both of them said hey we'd prefer the cheaper tickets just because it's better for us financially then fair enough but they didn't say that and I don't love that musician to be paying a higher price ticket, I was just going for fun.

It's standing tickets so I'd still be with them but paying more to be in the exact same spot as them when they paid cheaper doesn't even make sense, I'd also have to get a taxi home which would be expensive so the cost of the whole thing wouldn'tbe worth it to see an musician in not head over heels for. I'll just explain that I couldn't get a ticket and that I'm not paying the more expensive one when they paid cheaper.

Hopefully they understand and i hope it doesn't dissolve the relationship but they didn't consider our relationship when they both done that so...

Sounds like a good approach to me. :smile:
Reply 4
I don't think you're being dramatic at all. What they did was sneaky and uncalled for. There is't a logical reason why they'd do that.
Talk to them about it.
Realistically you couldv'e just got 2 cheaper tickets and 1 slightly expensive ticket and split the cost between 3.
If you go, wouldn't that mean you'd have to sit somewhere else anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending