The Student Room Group

Midwifery Applicant 2024 (Urgent)

I’ve applied to midwifery at Northumbria a uni and Sunderland. I have not received an offer from Northumbria but I am waiting to hear back from Sunderland for midwifery. However I have an interview for the Adult Nursing (which was my backup) at Sunderland Uni.

If I don’t get the offer for midwifery what would be the best option to get into this career? I am considering to do a foundation year in nursing and then apply to midwifery from that, hoping my chances would be higher to get into the course I want. Will it be guaranteed I’d get into midwifery after a foundation year in nursing? If not, What are the other options from this nursing foundation year if I then don't get an offer from Midwifery… Would I then be guaranteed to get into nursing from this foundation year?

In order to get into midwifery is adult or children’s nursing valued more?

I’d appreciate any advice or if anyone has been in a similar situation that could help. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Zara82922
I’ve applied to midwifery at Northumbria a uni and Sunderland. I have not received an offer from Northumbria but I am waiting to hear back from Sunderland for midwifery. However I have an interview for the Adult Nursing (which was my backup) at Sunderland Uni.

If I don’t get the offer for midwifery what would be the best option to get into this career? I am considering to do a foundation year in nursing and then apply to midwifery from that, hoping my chances would be higher to get into the course I want. Will it be guaranteed I’d get into midwifery after a foundation year in nursing? If not, What are the other options from this nursing foundation year if I then don't get an offer from Midwifery… Would I then be guaranteed to get into nursing from this foundation year?

In order to get into midwifery is adult or children’s nursing valued more?

I’d appreciate any advice or if anyone has been in a similar situation that could help. Thanks

If you don't get into midwifery then adult nursing is your next best option.

Complete your adult nursing degree first and then gain a few years experience working on the hospital wards ( you can work on maternity ward as a qualified adult nurse) and then you can ask about applying for the shortened 18/20 months top-up degree courses for midwifery but you'll need to check with your chosen university and local hospital trust that they are still doing this course as they are slowly phrasing out those courses and want everyone to do the full three years of university degrees in the chosen nursing field.

You are not guaranteed anything if you do a foundation year.

You would be best doing the full three years of adult nursing rather than hoping for anything else.

A NHS registered midwife

Quick Reply