The Student Room Group

Law Oxford

Hello,

One of my sons is eager to apply to Oxford to read Law. He is in S4 Scottish system, currently embarking upon Nat 5s. He will apply August 2025.

I am looking for advice with regards to the best time to start LNAT preparation, subject choices super curricular etc.

Successful applicants or current students, would you kindly share your experiences, personal statement topics, extracurricular activities which you felt helped you.

As you will see (Vet mum, now possibly Med mum ☺️), I am supporting several of my children at present, bullet points / law application for dummies approach would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Vetmum3
Hello,

One of my sons is eager to apply to Oxford to read Law. He is in S4 Scottish system, currently embarking upon Nat 5s. He will apply August 2025.

I am looking for advice with regards to the best time to start LNAT preparation, subject choices super curricular etc.

Successful applicants or current students, would you kindly share your experiences, personal statement topics, extracurricular activities which you felt helped you.

As you will see (Vet mum, now possibly Med mum ☺️), I am supporting several of my children at present, bullet points / law application for dummies approach would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance

Whilst super curricular is great, it is not a necessity, the admissions team care about seeing an applicant take a genuine academic interest in their subject, which is more often than not, reflected in their academic engagement. so books, lectures, and anything else academic, and their reflection and thoughts of those experiences. My point is you dont need to secure anything massive such as shadowing a barrister, work experience etc.

In terms of LNAT, prep in the summer term, use LNAT ninja and Arbitio if you can afford it, avoid Law mind as its not reflective of the difficulty, book it in early september so you secure a booking.

Subject choices are highlighted on the oxford website, when i applied last year they gave emphasis on substanstial "hard" A levels that are considered essay subjects, so english lit/lang, history, and other essay subjects, and put less emphasis on "Soft" A levels, such as something like photography.

The one thing i will mention is that its important to NOT get your hopes up about Oxbridge, i applied last year and was rejected because of circumstances out of my control, and am reapplying to Cambridge this year, so im saying this with hindsight. Even if your son secures 5 A* across the board, achieves an amazing LNAT score, and performs well at interviews, their is simply no garuantee, especially with a 12% intake rate for law at Oxford.

HOWEVER, with this in mind, this should ABSOLUTELY NOT be a deterrent, The only way you garuantee yourself that you wont get in is if you dont apply at all. My dad told me last year that applying to Oxford is similar to aiming for the moon, you may hit it, but if you dont, then youre sure to hit a surrounding star, there are many universities in the UK with globally renowned law schools, KCL, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham.

With all that being said, i wish you and your son luck, be sure to persevere through the admissions process as its a daunting and exhausting process. If you have any questions let me know
(edited 4 months ago)
Turn to Page 25: super-curricular_suggestions.pdf (cam.ac.uk)
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Thank you my husband attended Oxford for both Undergraduate and DPhil, we have many professions in the family, however, law is unfamiliar for me

Thank you for your reply, I am sure I will have many more. I noticed someone mentioning starting a Law Club at school, I think this is wonderful idea alongside podcasts.

Many thanks and best of luck with your application, I am sure you will be successful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending