The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial maths 2024

Scroll to see replies

Received a rejection. MAT 78, an international applicant. Good luck everyone.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Anonymous #9
Received a rejection. MAT 78, an international applicant. Good luck everyone.

Did you do MATb too?
Reply 62
Original post by metalbox
Did you do MATb too?

Ohh.. but the score is so good.
Original post by Too lazy
Did anyone hear from imperial mathematics for 2024 application cycle? Low-key getting nervous icl. I got 40/100 for the first one and 10/10 for the additional MAT… would this be enough?

I got declined last night for maths
Sorry to hear all the rejections…
FWIW
My offer came in almost two weeks ago with conditions A*A*AA, A* achieved in Maths, leaving A* in FM and AA in the others. No STEP.

Stats are A* achieved, 3A* predicted, 62 on MATa and 8/10 on MATb, 8A* @ IGCSE with a good PS (I’d hope).
Original post by metalbox
Did you do MATb too?

I did not.
Reply 66
I am not really sure what the absolute criteria? Is it a bit subjective too?

My son has 4 predicted A*, 73 MAT, mo MAT b, 11 9's in GCSE. I think while his is certainly a good profile, I surprised that other profiles which are better in my eyes atleast are rejected.
Original post by Reshjac
I am not really sure what the absolute criteria? Is it a bit subjective too?
My son has 4 predicted A*, 73 MAT, mo MAT b, 11 9's in GCSE. I think while his is certainly a good profile, I surprised that other profiles which are better in my eyes atleast are rejected.

I don't know about the ICL approach but it is fairly common for a college to reject the best applicants if the college believes they would get better offers and ultimately would not enroll.
Reply 68
I don't know about the ICL approach but it is fairly common for a college to reject the best applicants if the college believes they would get better offers and ultimately would not enroll.

That can't be the case for Imperial maths though, as nothing is better than it, other than maybe Oxbridge, but you can never assume that an applicant will get in their, however stellar their grades are. I think it's just because competition for places is off the scale.
Original post by lalexm
That can't be the case for Imperial maths though, as nothing is better than it, other than maybe Oxbridge, but you can never assume that an applicant will get in their, however stellar their grades are. I think it's just because competition for places is off the scale.

It is definitely the case for a number of international applicants.

Do you have any example to support this claim?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Do you have any example to support this claim?

I do.
I do.

It is very rare for an international student to get 11 9s. Predicted A* doesn't count very much if it was educated outside the UK. At least, in this thread, I haven't seen the stats mentioned by Reshjac and got rejected.
Reply 73

So you are saying that Imperial rejects candidates that it thinks are too good for its course? Sorry I don’t believe that. That would make zero sense as Imperial already has one of the lowest offer rates in the country, so what would it possibly gain from it?
Original post by lalexm
So you are saying that Imperial rejects candidates that it thinks are too good for its course? Sorry I don’t believe that. That would make zero sense as Imperial already has one of the lowest offer rates in the country, so what would it possibly gain from it?

I agree with you that it's unlikely a university would reject a candidate because they are 'too good' for the course.

However, there is something not brought up, that really concerns me, that would affect the application process: tuition fees.

Currently, a home student pays £9250, while an international student pays £39,100 for Imperial. There is a tremendous difference in price because of the price freeze.

So, I am a bit concerned that universities are now prioritising and selecting students that are international over home students. Ofcourse, it is purely speculation and based of nothing, but if a home student is perceived to be better in almost every way than an accepted international student, and the only other factor is funding, then that could be why.

A bit controversial, but I think it's time tuition fees do get raised - or universities will, eventually, start prioritising international students over home students. That is a real concern for the future of education.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Gosh, first time to know someone wants his/her fee to be increased. Do you know that UK has the most indebted graduates in the world? BTW, some source suggest that average MAT for international applicants is 10 higher than home students for getting interviewed in O maths.
Reply 76
Gosh, first time to know someone wants his/her fee to be increased. Do you know that UK has the most indebted graduates in the world? BTW, some source suggest that average MAT for international applicants is 10 higher than home students for getting interviewed in O maths.

Yep it’s a complicated picture. If you look at just acceptance rates, it suggests that internationals get a really easy ride, for example for Warwick Economics, the acceptance rate for U.K. applicants is about 35%, but for internationals it is about 85%. Like you say though, international applicants might on average have stronger applications than those from the U.K., which would skew the figures. It makes sense as I expect applicants from the U.K. that apply for courses abroad to be stronger than your average U.K. applicant.
Original post by lalexm
Yep it’s a complicated picture. If you look at just acceptance rates, it suggests that internationals get a really easy ride, for example for Warwick Economics, the acceptance rate for U.K. applicants is about 35%, but for internationals it is about 85%. Like you say though, international applicants might on average have stronger applications than those from the U.K., which would skew the figures. It makes sense as I expect applicants from the U.K. that apply for courses abroad to be stronger than your average U.K. applicant.

Certainly. Agreed. Someone in the previous year didn't receive any offers from the top universities in the US, even though he represented the UK in two international Olympiads.

Part of the problem is not realising the increasing costs that universities face. I have seen concrete evidence from a university that has admitted they cannot afford to add new modules to their degrees due to financial constraints.

It concerns me that universities facing financial difficulties have no sympathy from students. Eventually, it will mean that course quality will be massively affected, increasing module credits from 15 to 30 or 60 credits to reduce work load, lecturer and assessment costs.

I understand it may appear like a surprise for someone to support universities, I am not. But, I am supporting maintaining the same quality course and ensuring that universities continue to offer the same course at the highest quality, and giving equal fairness in choosing candidates for home and international students.
Original post by Baleroc
Part of the problem is not realising the increasing costs that universities face. I have seen concrete evidence from a university that has admitted they cannot afford to add new modules to their degrees due to financial constraints.
It concerns me that universities facing financial difficulties have no sympathy from students. Eventually, it will mean that course quality will be massively affected, increasing module credits from 15 to 30 or 60 credits to reduce work load, lecturer and assessment costs.
I understand it may appear like a surprise for someone to support universities, I am not. But, I am supporting maintaining the same quality course and ensuring that universities continue to offer the same course at the highest quality, and giving equal fairness in choosing candidates for home and international students.
In comparison to most European countries, the UK has much higher tuition fees for domestic students. However, this does not deter them from offering excellent courses. Consequently, an increasing number of UK applicants are now considering European universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending