The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Getting into mechanical engineering at Imperial College London

So I got 11 A*s at GCSE and will hopefully get 3/4 A* at A level. I study Maths, physics, geography and computer science.
It says further maths is recommended for a lot of courses at imperial especially engineering, so what actually are my chances of getting in without studying it at A level?
Is there anything extra I could do instead of further maths to help?
Reply 1
Original post by DopeyToaster
So I got 11 A*s at GCSE and will hopefully get 3/4 A* at A level. I study Maths, physics, geography and computer science.
It says further maths is recommended for a lot of courses at imperial especially engineering, so what actually are my chances of getting in without studying it at A level?

Why Imperial - it's toxic and they do not treat students well. They do prefer FMaths but plenty of good unis don't.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Why Imperial - it's toxic and they do not treat students well. They do prefer FMaths but plenty of good unis don't.

I'm not just considering imperial, I'm also looking at QUB, Leeds, Sheffield, Edinburgh etc, but imperial is better for engineering and research as far as I'm aware. I think they are one of the only Uni's that recommend further maths for most courses which is why I was wondering what my chances where without it.
Reply 3
I'm not just considering imperial, I'm also looking at QUB, Leeds, Sheffield, Edinburgh etc, but imperial is better for engineering and research as far as I'm aware. I think they are one of the only Uni's that recommend further maths for most courses which is why I was wondering what my chances where without it.

None of those are noted for Engineering - look at Bath, Loughborough, Brookes, Southampton - you need a year in industry and a modern course if you actually want to be an Engineer.
Reply 4
it's 50:50 because you either get in or you don't
Reply 5
None of those are noted for Engineering - look at Bath, Loughborough, Brookes, Southampton - you need a year in industry and a modern course if you actually want to be an Engineer.

Yeah Bath and Southampton I was also looking at. A year in industry seems like a good call, but what do you mean by a modern course?
Reply 6
Yeah Bath and Southampton I was also looking at. A year in industry seems like a good call, but what do you mean by a modern course?

Some courses have not been updated in the last ten years and are very theoretical. The non-RG unis seem to have better adapted to these changes e.g. design with 3D printer [2013/4 task at Brookes was to use 3D printer to design a nose cone for the Formula Student car - info from ex-student]
Reply 7
Some courses have not been updated in the last ten years and are very theoretical. The non-RG unis seem to have better adapted to these changes e.g. design with 3D printer [2013/4 task at Brookes was to use 3D printer to design a nose cone for the Formula Student car - info from ex-student]

That's why i'm also really interested in the degree apprenticeships cause they give you both the degree and the actual hands on experience of working in industry the whole time. Not to mention the financial benefits of them as well.
Reply 8
That's why i'm also really interested in the degree apprenticeships cause they give you both the degree and the actual hands on experience of working in industry the whole time. Not to mention the financial benefits of them as well.

Yes they are a very good option :smile:

Heyo! I'm studying Mech eng at Imperial currently and really recommend it. I know it's got a reputation of being toxic on tsr lol but my personal experience has been very positive, yes the workload can be intense but the department is very understanding and there's lots of support both mental health-wise and academically. I had a rough time in my personal life this year and the university was very supportive of things and allowed me to resubmit things on multiple occasions without any capped mark. In terms of your question, I do know a few people who didn't do Further maths and got in, but essentially most of them went to schools that didn't offer it. I applied to Imperial after a gap year because my school offered further maths and I hadn't fully taken it, I completed my Further Maths A-Level as well as getting some experience in the software industry during that. So don't lose all hope if you're too late to swap subjects and stuff, if you check out Imperial and like it, you can always take the gap year route. I've tutored and mentored dozens of kids over the past year who decided on the gap year and a lot of them were successful in receiving offers, so if you get an A* in maths and physics gap year route can work a treat. I'd apply anyways but I remember one of our tutors saying it's highly recommended to do Further Maths, and that p much everyone has taken it. Hope this helped! If you have any questions about the course or anything else let me know
Original post by noobmaster69_
Heyo! I'm studying Mech eng at Imperial currently and really recommend it. I know it's got a reputation of being toxic on tsr lol but my personal experience has been very positive, yes the workload can be intense but the department is very understanding and there's lots of support both mental health-wise and academically. I had a rough time in my personal life this year and the university was very supportive of things and allowed me to resubmit things on multiple occasions without any capped mark. In terms of your question, I do know a few people who didn't do Further maths and got in, but essentially most of them went to schools that didn't offer it. I applied to Imperial after a gap year because my school offered further maths and I hadn't fully taken it, I completed my Further Maths A-Level as well as getting some experience in the software industry during that. So don't lose all hope if you're too late to swap subjects and stuff, if you check out Imperial and like it, you can always take the gap year route. I've tutored and mentored dozens of kids over the past year who decided on the gap year and a lot of them were successful in receiving offers, so if you get an A* in maths and physics gap year route can work a treat. I'd apply anyways but I remember one of our tutors saying it's highly recommended to do Further Maths, and that p much everyone has taken it. Hope this helped! If you have any questions about the course or anything else let me know

Hi - I might take a gap year to get into Imperial - this year round I messed up AS and my predicted grades aren't sufficient to apply to Imperial (A* A B).
So what I'm thinking on doing is getting 2A A or 3A this 2024 A-Level exam and use these grades to apply next year for Imperial.
Would you recommend me in doing this?
Also, if I were to take the gap year what would you recommend I do to maximise my chances to be successful for Imperial etc internships, personal projects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending