The Student Room Group

Investment Banking

Hi,
I am considering becoming an investment banker with following predicted grades: maths (a*) further maths (a*) chemistry (a*) biology (a*). I would ideally want to go University. what sort of degree do you think I should do? Many thanks
Depends on the university. If it's extremely prestigious, like Oxford, I would recommend math and statistics or an economics course; however, for most universities, an accounting and finance course would suffice. with the alternative option being an economics course, however, I would recommend accounting and finance.
Reply 2
Original post by TomcSixthForm
Depends on the university. If it's extremely prestigious, like Oxford, I would recommend math and statistics or an economics course; however, for most universities, an accounting and finance course would suffice. with the alternative option being an economics course, however, I would recommend accounting and finance.

ok, thank you for your advice. do you think not doing economics will be a problem for some of the courses?
Original post by Anonymous48

ok, thank you for your advice. do you think not doing economics will be a problem for some of the courses?

Not necessarily, since it's a subject that is almost taught again from scratch at university due to its broadness. I think you would be fine for economic courses as you have both math and further math at A*, which shows your high level of competence with numbers, which university-level economics will have a larger focus on. The only issue is that, excluding the top 10 universities for the course, the standards drop as they stop requiring math and become more qualitative, making them more tailored for consulting and management accounting as well as a potential career in the public sector. While accounting and finance will maintain a greater focus on the numerical side throughout the majority of universities, Personally, though, I wouldn't worry too much and choose the course you reckon you'll perform better on, as both are good paths for going into investment banking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending