The Student Room Group

tired of school:)))

I want to apply to medicine.But i feel like i will be such a medicore applicant.My gcse grades are not even average compared to a med applicant.I have averaged a 6 throught and i recieved mostly 7 and 6 and 4s.I am predicted an A* A A .The a* is from psychology.I think this is good but my chem teacher said she doesnt think i am a worthy/strong med applicant.Cuz there are 4 other students are applying to med and there predicted grades are A*A*A* OR A*A*A*.All of their grades areso high and good compared to mine.i revise on a daily basis just to get such medicore grades and i wanna do medcine but i feel like i wont get in and i know u need confidence,but when you try so hard and put so much hours into school just to get average and all your friends that are applying to med gets like 70% hits deep.I know my grades are good,i am not looking for compliments.But it is just sad,that i wont be able to apply to the uni we all wanna go to because i wont get in.For example kings and queen marys.I always wanted to medicine from yr9.When i tell you i never revised for school or took it seriously until yr9.Thats when i wanted to do med.I tried and my grades improved.What i am trying to say is regardless how much i try,i will never be above average in terms of grades.But i am slowly coming to terms to that.So how is ur day?
Hi, Year 2 Med student here

So that's a bit sad to see your so pessimistic about your chances as a medicine applicant.

First point is very important so read this carefully: Medicine application is a hoop jumping exercise, They have minimum requirements you must meet AFTER that most stuff/grades/achievements EPQ is all "extra" yes it looks good does that mean it will help you massively or in some cases at all ? NO

Sadly It's a case of meeting the requirements to jump through to the next hoop.

The point is to just get to interview, I genuinely believe your predicted grades are strong enough for a place at interview, most average medical schools want minimum of AAA and then more competitive ones will want at least A*AA or A*A*A (for Oxbridge). If teachers are giving you a hard time, explain to them

"You shouldn't compare me to other students but to the entry requirements of the course at my selected unis" ….
You will likely pick 1 Dream Uni at A*AA, and 3 realistic Unis of AAA

I think broadly speaking medicine applications are scored by their grades not a massive difference between you at A*AA and some one else at A*A*A for example. Then they have a cut-off UCAT/BMAT score so even someone with A*A*A could have a weak UCAT sitting and fail to get an interview. Then at interview they ask you to reflect so work-experience is crucial, so again an A*A*A will not mean a rat's tail here.

The weakest part of your application seems to be your GCSEs, but this is given less weight than your A-levels so as long as you hit your predicted A-level grades and a post a decent UCAT/BMAT score you're in a very good position ! make sure you get a variety of work experience if you haven't already across primary care and secondary care so you can chat about that too.

Don't disregard completely what teachers have to say, but don't take it to heart either, you must be able to think for yourself. If you think it can be done, you're probably right. I hope that provides reassurance, do some research and find out what specific unis want from you and make a shortlist of 7 or 8 so Unis and then from that pick top 4.
Original post by Anonymous
I want to apply to medicine.But i feel like i will be such a medicore applicant.My gcse grades are not even average compared to a med applicant.I have averaged a 6 throught and i recieved mostly 7 and 6 and 4s.I am predicted an A* A A .The a* is from psychology.I think this is good but my chem teacher said she doesnt think i am a worthy/strong med applicant.Cuz there are 4 other students are applying to med and there predicted grades are A*A*A* OR A*A*A*.All of their grades areso high and good compared to mine.i revise on a daily basis just to get such medicore grades and i wanna do medcine but i feel like i wont get in and i know u need confidence,but when you try so hard and put so much hours into school just to get average and all your friends that are applying to med gets like 70% hits deep.I know my grades are good,i am not looking for compliments.But it is just sad,that i wont be able to apply to the uni we all wanna go to because i wont get in.For example kings and queen marys.I always wanted to medicine from yr9.When i tell you i never revised for school or took it seriously until yr9.Thats when i wanted to do med.I tried and my grades improved.What i am trying to say is regardless how much i try,i will never be above average in terms of grades.But i am slowly coming to terms to that.So how is ur day?

Hey! Cliché but grades really are not everything, as long as you need the minimum requirements that's the main point for the first stage of the application. After that, there are plenty of opportunities to shine above the rest, just because someone get A*A*A* it does not guarantee they will get good UCAT/BMAT scores and interview well.

Our medical school is AAB entry requirements as it focuses on ensuring the best future doctors join us rather than just basing it on their grades. I've popped a link below in case you do fancy a quick read!

KMMS Entry Requirements

- LT
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

I am always curious to know why medicine is so sought after. Yes, I know that in most societies, Doctors are deemed to be the pinnacle of societal success, but what is it that actually draws people to want to do medicine?
Is it helping people like nurses, teachers, social workers, customer service representatives, shop assistants, receptionists?
Is it making the world a better place like gardeners, environmentalists, charity workers, key workers?
Is it the problem solving aspect like engineers, software developers, managers, leaders, politicians?
Is it working with people like most of the professions above?
What exactly is it that means medicine is so potent and the must have profession?

So you don't have top grades? Most don't. Don't beat yourself up over it. Half of the A*A*A* won't make it to the end of the course because each year, if you fail your exams, that is it. Game over. So ask yourself, what is it that means you want to be a doctor and then work out other careers that provide the same things you will enjoy.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending