The Student Room Group

Sheffield Hallam University VS University Of Huddersfield | Programming

I am currently in year 9 and I am picking my gcse options today. Yesterday my school held a careers fair where a bunch of colleges and universities came in with stands and leaflets. I know what everyone’s gonna say, that I shouldn’t worry about university’s or higher education yet, but…. It doesn’t hurt to be a little curious! My dream is to become a professional app/game developer. I have done projects now and then. I would really like to know which of these university’s would be the best option for my career choice. I used to only think Sheffield Hallam, but I was really enticed by university of Huddersfield during the careers fair. It just seemed like it had a lot more to offer for what i want. Does anyone have any opinions or good information to help my decision?
At this stage you should be researching as many universities as possible to come up with a longlist of around 10 universities to visit before you decide on which 5 you will apply to.
(Normally I wouldn’t recommend visiting that many universities pre-application but if you’re looking this early on then that gives you plenty of time to book onto and attend a few open days a year)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
At this stage you should be researching as many universities as possible to come up with a longlist of around 10 universities to visit before you decide on which 5 you will apply to.
(Normally I wouldn’t recommend visiting that many universities pre-application but if you’re looking this early on then that gives you plenty of time to book onto and attend a few open days a year)

The thing is there are not much within 1/2 hour proximity to me. I don’t want to move too far away.
Original post by teejayhi55
I am currently in year 9 and I am picking my gcse options today. Yesterday my school held a careers fair where a bunch of colleges and universities came in with stands and leaflets. I know what everyone’s gonna say, that I shouldn’t worry about university’s or higher education yet, but…. It doesn’t hurt to be a little curious! My dream is to become a professional app/game developer. I have done projects now and then. I would really like to know which of these university’s would be the best option for my career choice. I used to only think Sheffield Hallam, but I was really enticed by university of Huddersfield during the careers fair. It just seemed like it had a lot more to offer for what i want. Does anyone have any opinions or good information to help my decision?

Hi @teejayhi55

We're glad to have made a good impression! Great job in thinking about your future so early- when making this decision, think about what parts of university and study are important to you- you've mentioned you maybe liked the content of our modules, while this is great, think about what else would you like to get out of your university experience. Do you want a university that is close to home? One with a nice location? Think about what parts of uni are important to you and then see how each university performs against your measures.

In terms of our students, they often enjoy our course because there's a good focus on a placement year. With us, if you are interested, you can study for two years, then for your third year you can work for the year and be paid for it, then finish your degree in the fourth. This often helps our students find jobs and feel comfortable when they start working because they already have a year's experience.

If you have any more questions about Huddersfield and studying with us- just reply in the thread or message usand we'll get back to you as best as we can.

Lewis

Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield.
Original post by teejayhi55

Hiya @teejayhi55 !

It's great to hear you're already starting to think about your option and that Hallam is one of your potential university choices. Feel free to always keep checking the Hallam website for the most up to date course information: https://www.shu.ac.uk/

In terms of the university, I genuinely do not regret picking Hallam as my university at all. I originally started out by picking a Russell Group university because that's usually the direction they guide you down at sixth form level. However, once I visited the city of Sheffield I just fell in love with it and knew I was going to call it my home so decided to switch it so my firm choice and have not regretted it. My advice to you is closer to the time when you've made your shortlist to go and visit the cities because then you'll really get a feel for the area and whether you can see it as a home for you or not. I visited my original firm choice and really didn't like the city or campus so I'm glad I visited it beforehand and from that I decided to switch. The city of Sheffield itself is very close-knit so it's easy to learn your way around and doesn't feel as daunting as bigger cities do. That was a big factor for me when creating a shortlist as I wanted to live a distance from home but didn't want to be too far away where I couldn't go home on weekends if I wanted.

It's also got good transport links that are really cheap which is a good thing to think about when choosing universities. as you want to be able to get around easily. The student accommodation at Hallam is also surprisingly cheaper than any other city university I've seen which was a big bonus for me as it was looking like my student finance might not cover my rent.

Hope this helped! Good luck on your GCSE's!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending