The Student Room Group

notes or flashcards?

Hi, a level psychology aqa student here, self studying.

I've found that if I write out notes for a topic, it takes me longer, but I do remember it well. But with flashcards, It means my notes are now also revision support as well as a testing method. I know if I write notes on a topic I'll end up doing flashcards too, but I've never studied a topic just by writing flashcards for it.

It's forensic psychology. I also have never taken this course before. I have literally picked it up and booked the exam. I have finished paper 1 content except for research methods, and done nothing else due to very bad health issues.

I'm starting from 0 knowledge on forensic psychology. So what do I do? I'm worried with the limited time I have, writing notes then flash cards will waste it.
I'm considering watching videos on the topic, re-reading some online summary notes, writing down anything that is particularly hard to understand so I can think it out and put it on paper, and then flash cards? I'm so lost, honestly. Heeeelp
no im making notes this video is hard no way flashcards will be enough thanks guys
If you are writing flashcards eventually, I'd skip the notetaking stage and put your information directly onto flashcards, however don't use them as notes, instead put important details into question and answer format. When I'm watching a video, I have Anki open at the same time, and when there is important information, I pause the video and convert the information into question and answer format. Hope this helps.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
no im making notes this video is hard no way flashcards will be enough thanks guys

It looks like many others have given you tonnes of support already, but flashcards atp mean little since it's so close to A-levels. Do notes if that's your thing, no point changing now.
Original post by toxicgamage56
It looks like many others have given you tonnes of support already, but flashcards atp mean little since it's so close to A-levels. Do notes if that's your thing, no point changing now.

I partially disagree, I can see where your point comes from but surely because it is so close to A-Levels, if time can be saved skipping the note-taking stage, then this should be done, and it's not much of a change since OP is already creating flashcards anyway.
Original post by EnigmaChess
I partially disagree, I can see where your point comes from but surely because it is so close to A-Levels, if time can be saved skipping the note-taking stage, then this should be done, and it's not much of a change since OP is already creating flashcards anyway.

I think i'll print some very good notes, go through them with a video and add anything I need, make flashcards, then take a quiz on it. If it's bad, I'll know it won't work. This topic is paper 3 so it's the 5th of june anyway, so it's a good way to test this since it's far away and it isn't huge, and might not even come up.
I think i'll print some very good notes, go through them with a video and add anything I need, make flashcards, then take a quiz on it. If it's bad, I'll know it won't work. This topic is paper 3 so it's the 5th of june anyway, so it's a good way to test this since it's far away and it isn't huge, and might not even come up.

I'm glad you've found a method that works for you, please let me know if you want anymore help/advice. :smile:
Original post by EnigmaChess
I'm glad you've found a method that works for you, please let me know if you want anymore help/advice. :smile:

IDK if it works yet lmao but i will thanks
Hi, a level psychology aqa student here, self studying.

I've found that if I write out notes for a topic, it takes me longer, but I do remember it well. But with flashcards, It means my notes are now also revision support as well as a testing method. I know if I write notes on a topic I'll end up doing flashcards too, but I've never studied a topic just by writing flashcards for it.

It's forensic psychology. I also have never taken this course before. I have literally picked it up and booked the exam. I have finished paper 1 content except for research methods, and done nothing else due to very bad health issues.

I'm starting from 0 knowledge on forensic psychology. So what do I do? I'm worried with the limited time I have, writing notes then flash cards will waste it.

Heya!
I would recommend sticking to what works best for you :h: If notes work better for you then stick to that! Flashcards are useful if you know the material and want to make sure you remember it.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
hi guys character development I will never be printing notes again this is useless. I will see however if reading through it, watching videos, making flashcards and then doing an assessment to see if it is adequate. I doubt it will be. I think it's because when I make notes I digest the information how i like and write it in a structure I like, and though these notes are good they're not how I like them. In case anyone else had this question, don't print notes :biggrin:
IDK if it works yet lmao but i will thanks

I'm also glad that you've found a method that works for you, gl!
Hi! How did self studying psychology go for you? I’m in the same position at the moment. I want to sit the 2024 exams, but I have an AS paper one exam in late November/early December for my UCAS predicted grade

Quick Reply

Latest