The Student Room Group

Would it be stupid to do another year in college and do 2 more A-levels b4 uni app

I am currently in year 13 in college and studying 3 a-levels. I had a rough time during my gcses and up until the end of year 12. as a result of this my ucas grades arent as good as i know i can get now that im doing a lot better. I also have no idea what I even want to apply to.

If i was to stay at college for another year and get 2 more A-levels in that year, how would this affect my uni application or would that effort be pointless? I'm just stressing because as im only doing better now i havent really given much thought to my future and i need more time to decide what uni course i want to do, but i want to study during the time it'll take me to make up my mind, and do a further 2 a-levels to open my options a little from what i thought was 'the right choice' in a-levels when i was at my lowest.

my mum is also saying that unis wont even look at the other 2 a-levels i would get in the additional college year because they only look at if u have done 3 at the same time..
Original post by ame44
I am currently in year 13 in college and studying 3 a-levels. I had a rough time during my gcses and up until the end of year 12. as a result of this my ucas grades arent as good as i know i can get now that im doing a lot better. I also have no idea what I even want to apply to.

If i was to stay at college for another year and get 2 more A-levels in that year, how would this affect my uni application or would that effort be pointless? I'm just stressing because as im only doing better now i havent really given much thought to my future and i need more time to decide what uni course i want to do, but i want to study during the time it'll take me to make up my mind, and do a further 2 a-levels to open my options a little from what i thought was 'the right choice' in a-levels when i was at my lowest.

my mum is also saying that unis wont even look at the other 2 a-levels i would get in the additional college year because they only look at if u have done 3 at the same time..

Staying in college for an extra year to improve the grades in existing subjects makes sense. Leaving those grades as "weaker" grades and then taking two more (in a year) makes no sense.

AAA is a better grade profile than BBBBB, for example.
Hi @ame44,

It is not stupid to do another year in college in order to up you grades and improve your university application.

I believe staying another year in school will be best for you as not only will it give you the time to improve your grades, but also allow you to decide where and what would you like to study.

Furthermore, you could gain new experiences and skill throughout the year which could benefit you once you start university.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Reply 3
Original post by LSBU Student Rep

It is not stupid to do another year in college in order to up you grades and improve your university application.

If you already have 3 A levels, its unlikely that any school or college would accept anyone to do more A levels in different subjects - because they wont get any funding for that student.

And as above, AAA in three subjects will always look better than 'just more A levels'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending