The Student Room Group

STRUGGLING with English Language and literature Alevel

I am in year 12 currently, and even though I used to get high grades in GCSE, now I D/C I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any tips for the English language and literature Edexcel A-level course? Especially for Othello and The Great Gatsby.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by alissara
I am in year 12 currently, and even though I used to get high grades in GCSE, now I D/C I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any tips for the English language and literature Edexcel A-level course? Especially for Othello and The Great Gatsby.
Hi! I was in a similar position when i was in year 12, i got two 9’s at GCSE level but that quickly becomes irrelevant because the jump from GCSE to A-Level is so big. I am now in year 13 and I am working at an A/A* grade and these are my 3 top tips for you:
-Making sure you know the terminology/techniques (this was a big one for me as i felt i couldn’t analyse any text properly as i didn’t know what i was looking for) this will improve your use of AO2 which is what drives your marks. I think the best way of doing this is through flashcards so I made some that had the name of a technique on one side and then the definition along with an example of it being used in my studied texts.
-Reverse planning of exemplar essays (breaking down their structure and magpying ideas/phrases you like from them)
-HEAVY on context revision , it helped me to research context beyond what we were taught in lessons (e.g I have been credited for the use of book critics) this helps to develop A04 which helps you to reach the top band and it gives you a better understanding of authorial intent

English Lit/Lang is a difficult subject to wrap your head around but I know that if you are resilient with it you will get there eventually as long as you put the effort in outside of lessons.

I hope this helps , Good luck !
Hi! I would say speak to your teacher for A level, and if possible bring them a past paper you've done and ask if you can go through it together with them marking it. Is it a case of not reading the texts as much and so not being familiar enough with them to quote it? Or is it not understanding what your answers in an exam should be structured like? In any case, showing that you're wanting to improve your grades and are willing to put the work in to your teacher will help them see that you need a little more direction! Best of luck with everything, you got this!
Reply 4

For Edexcel A Level you can practice english literature and english language for the GCSE, you can use this tool: https://www.tilf.io.

The way it works is simple: you add in the question, select the mark scheme and start typing your answer and it gives you feedback on what to improve and the grade based on the exam board you chose. Then you just keep improving the essay until you get the grade you want.

Quick Reply

Latest