The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades - Advice urgently needed please!

I received my predicted grades today and am in a bit of a dilemma. For context: I do 4 A-Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. I got predicted an A*A*A*B, with the B being in Further Maths.

I'm pretty happy with the A*s but the B in FM is really bothering me. Would this grade decrease my chances at unis like Oxbridge (I was considering either Natural Sciences, Comp Sci/Maths)? Would it even be worth applying with the B? Should I drop FM, as the A*A*A* would look better on its own?
Another option would be to not apply as an early applicant and somehow get my grade for FM reconsidered (I am confident I can get it to an A by October - my school policy states that they only reconsider then and by that time its too late for the early applicants).
I'm honestly very torn. Any insights would be helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiix
I received my predicted grades today and am in a bit of a dilemma. For context: I do 4 A-Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. I got predicted an A*A*A*B, with the B being in Further Maths.

I'm pretty happy with the A*s but the B in FM is really bothering me. Would this grade decrease my chances at unis like Oxbridge (I was considering either Natural Sciences, Comp Sci/Maths)? Would it even be worth applying with the B? Should I drop FM, as the A*A*A* would look better on its own?
Another option would be to not apply as an early applicant and somehow get my grade for FM reconsidered (I am confident I can get it to an A by October - my school policy states that they only reconsider then and by that time its too late for the early applicants).
I'm honestly very torn. Any insights would be helpful.

3 A levels is enough for u to get into any uni the B won't affect u anyway because most likely the offer that u might receive will depend on 3 a levels so I wouldn't worry about it
Original post by user123456324
3 A levels is enough for u to get into any uni the B won't affect u anyway because most likely the offer that u might receive will depend on 3 a levels so I wouldn't worry about it

Of course it will make a difference to courses such as Oxbridge maths/computer science, which the OP is considering.
it would have a very minimal effect if he got a B in a 4th A level as said here on oxfords website they take it into account that you can take on an increased workload however it is not necessary if it might affect ur other grades

Oxford would rather u get a B in a 4th then to drop it and only provide 3 a levels

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/542/~/will-my-application-be-more-competitive-if-i-study-more-than-three-a-levels%3F
Original post by ageshallnot
Of course it will make a difference to courses such as Oxbridge maths/computer science, which the OP is considering.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
it would have a very minimal effect if he got a B in a 4th A level as said here on oxfords website they take it into account that you can take on an increased workload however it is not necessary if it might affect ur other grades

Oxford would rather u get a B in a 4th then to drop it and only provide 3 a levels

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/542/~/will-my-application-be-more-competitive-if-i-study-more-than-three-a-levels%3F

Cambridge website: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/post-16-subject-choices

Yes that link says pretty much what I said that he should keep doing the subject and not drop the 4th a level
Reply 6

that makes sense, thank you for your answer!

(i'm a *she by the way haha)
Reply 7

i was pretty keen on Nat Sci at Cambridge, so hopefully my 3 A*s in Bio, Chem and Maths should be enough for them.
Reply 8
You need the best profile you can.
Remember the grades on the website and standard offer are minimums. Most candidates will have in excess and most who are successful in getting in have far in excess.
To be honest, with a B in FM, your maths probably just isn’t strong enough. However, if you aren’t doing it, then they won’t know about that ‘weakness’. Certainty for Maths or CS degree FM or the ability to do their Maths to FM top grade standard will be necessary.

However, if you drop it, at interview they may well ask about why you do t do FM if your school,offer it, and schools or colleges often have to indicate on their reference and school info if they offer FM.

Sorry - know it’s not what you wanted to hear.’
Reply 9
Original post by Wombat11
You need the best profile you can.
Remember the grades on the website and standard offer are minimums. Most candidates will have in excess and most who are successful in getting in have far in excess.
To be honest, with a B in FM, your maths probably just isn’t strong enough. However, if you aren’t doing it, then they won’t know about that ‘weakness’. Certainty for Maths or CS degree FM or the ability to do their Maths to FM top grade standard will be necessary.

However, if you drop it, at interview they may well ask about why you do t do FM if your school,offer it, and schools or colleges often have to indicate on their reference and school info if they offer FM.

Sorry - know it’s not what you wanted to hear.’

Thank you for your response. That sounds fair enough. What about for a Natural Sciences (Biological) degree at Cambridge? Do you think FM predicted B would have a huge impact there?

Additional context - Our predicted grades for FM weren't predicted based on the FM content. They just subtracted a grade from the Y12 exams we had for our predicted grades in A-Level Maths (so basically entire A-level maths content) - which I got a high borderline A in. Now that we ARE doing FM content, I've been consistently scoring A*s in the tests now, but my school refuses to reconsider the grade in time for early applications : (
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by kiix
Thank you for your response. That sounds fair enough. What about for a Natural Sciences (Biological) degree at Cambridge? Do you think FM predicted B would have a huge impact there?

Additional context - Our predicted grades for FM weren't predicted based on the FM content. They just subtracted a grade from the Y12 exams we had for our predicted grades in A-Level Maths (so basically entire A-level maths content) - which I got a high borderline A in. Now that we ARE doing FM content, I've been consistently scoring A*s in the tests now, but my school refuses to reconsider the grade in time for early applications : (

That sounds awful. Have you tried speaking to the school again to point out that this could adversely affect your chances/rule out options for you?

A bit of a leap, but another option for you is to take a gap year and apply with achieved grades.
Original post by kiix

Are you sure ur school won't budge maybe try to talk to them again? Oxbridge offers are very valuable to schools and I'm sure they wouldn't want to miss out on a chance of one.
Reply 12
Original post by S1098
That sounds awful. Have you tried speaking to the school again to point out that this could adversely affect your chances/rule out options for you?

A bit of a leap, but another option for you is to take a gap year and apply with achieved grades.

I have actually.. they're saying that they'll only reconsider mid-October when they'll be revising the predicted grades for non-early applicants. Got a hard no from the person in charge :/
I wouldn't mind taking a gap year - provided I do something useful with my time - but my parents are a bit against it (since my grades aren't AWFUL lol, I mean I did get 3 A*s - I'm just feeling really really bad about my chances being blown by this one grade when I worked so hard to get the others)
Reply 13

That's not what that link implies - a grade B is not OK.
Reply 14
Original post by kiix
I have actually.. they're saying that they'll only reconsider mid-October when they'll be revising the predicted grades for non-early applicants. Got a hard no from the person in charge :/
I wouldn't mind taking a gap year - provided I do something useful with my time - but my parents are a bit against it (since my grades aren't AWFUL lol, I mean I did get 3 A*s - I'm just feeling really really bad about my chances being blown by this one grade when I worked so hard to get the others)

Why won't they reconsider before that? There's still a few weeks left in term and the holiday - we review all grades half-way through September.
I mean it says its fine its only not ok if the person didn't have 3 A*s predicted already which the poster does have
Original post by Muttley79
That's not what that link implies - a grade B is not OK.
Reply 16
Why won't they reconsider before that? There's still a few weeks left in term and the holiday - we review all grades half-way through September.

I genuinely don't know - "that's just our school's policy" is what I got. So if I give up on oxbridge, I can optimistically come out with a A*A*A*A prediction. I really wanted to give it a shot though. I'm getting pretty stressed not gonna lie.
Reply 17
Are you sure ur school won't budge maybe try to talk to them again? Oxbridge offers are very valuable to schools and I'm sure they wouldn't want to miss out on a chance of one.

The person in charge of sixth form is also my maths teacher, and they seemed pretty dead set on only mid-October reconsiderations. "It would be unfair to everyone else if we only bump /your/ grade up out of the hundred in sixth form before our october deadline" etc. etc.

Also, I go to the kind of school where there's always someone better than you, so I'm sure they'd have plenty of oxbridge offers either ways, even without considering good ol' me
Reply 18
Original post by kiix
I genuinely don't know - "that's just our school's policy" is what I got. So if I give up on oxbridge, I can optimistically come out with a A*A*A*A prediction. I really wanted to give it a shot though. I'm getting pretty stressed not gonna lie.

There's no justification for this .. are you in a group already prepping for Oxbridge?
Reply 19
There's no justification for this .. are you in a group already prepping for Oxbridge?

In school? We don't really have a "group" for specifically oxbridge prep. We just have the early applicants (medicine, dentistry etc. + oxbridge) who get their references and personal statements sorted before the others. And then the non-early applicants.
I have spoken to my other friends in FM (who actually have similar grades and marks to me!!) and they got predicted an A! I seem to be the only one who got predicted a grade LOWER than what I achieved in the A-Level Maths prediction exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending